In a nutshell
The JCU Online Master of Data Science is designed to put professionals who recognise the power of data and numbers ahead of the pack. JCU Online’s Master of Data Science is backed by an Industry Advisory Board, made up of data science and tech leaders from across Australia with extensive experience both domestically and abroad. You’ll also gain industry-recognised skills – JCU has partnered with SAS®, analytic software provider and leader in Data Science. The Master of Data Science will prepare you to become a SAS® Certified Big Data Professional Using SAS®.
Beginning with the basics of data science, including statistical methods, data visualisation and database systems, you’ll then move on to more specialised areas, such as programming and data mining. High-level subjects include the management, security, privacy and ethics of data; strategic decision-making; and machine learning. Your studies will culminate in masterclasses and a major project, and you will have the opportunity to participate in industry, research and government departments where possible, solving real-world data-driven problems.
With its accelerated learning model, this course is one of the fastest part-time Masters in the IT field. It is delivered by award-winning teachers and leading experts with expansive, cutting-edge knowledge and valuable real-world industry experience.
An interdisciplinary approach means you’ll acquire relevant knowledge from across the mathematics, information technology and business domains, delivered by experts in research,
academia, business and of course, data science. This varied approach delivers a flexible knowledge base and skillset, adding weight to employability.
You’ll gain expert skills in programming languages including Python and R, professional capability in visualisation tools such as SAS and Tableau, software development platforms like R-Studio and Jupyter and experience on cloud computing platforms including Amazon Web Services.
A Master of Data Science (Professional) is also available which is a four subject extension of the Masters program, which gives you a professional portfolio, further proving your data science capabilities. This portfolio is designed to give you the provable experience you might normally expect to work years for, helping you fast track your ambitions. You’ll also have the opportunity to gain real experience in data science by working on industry partnered projects.
What you’ll need
To be eligible to study this course, applicants must meet the following entry requirements:
- Hold a Bachelor degree (whilst not a prerequisite for entry, high numeracy skills equivalent to senior level mathematics that includes algebra and elementary differential calculus is assumed); OR
- Have at least five years of relevant work experience in an IT or data science-related industry. Industry experience will need to include some background in computing, data analysis or programming. Application based on relevant industry experience must be supported by a detailed CV and proof of work experience.
- Applicants of non-English speaking backgrounds must meet the English language proficiency requirements of Band 2 – Schedule II of the JCU Admissions Policy.
In this IT course, the subjects you may study include:
- Foundations for Data Science
- Statistical Methods for Data Science
- Data Visualisation
- Database Systems
- Programming and Data Analytics using Python
- Essential Mathematics for Data Scientists
- Introduction to Data Mining
- Visual Analytics for Data Scientists using SAS
- Data and Information: Management, Security, Privacy, and Ethics
- Advanced Data Management and Analysis using SAS
- Data Science and Strategic Decision Making
- Data Mining and Machine Learning
- Data Science Master Class 1
- Data Science Master Class 2
- Data Science Project (6 credit points) - composed of Part A and Part B
Why James Cook University Online?
Study when it suits you, receive personal academic support and make your CV shine with a qualification from an internationally recognised university.
With a reputation for excellence in teaching and research, we know the value of a world-class education: our students graduate to become leaders in their fields and their communities. What’s more, JCU has been awarded five stars for graduate job success for six years running by The Good
Through our postgraduate courses, we aim to empower professionals to have a positive impact and make their lives matter. Enrol and gain the skills to build your brighter future, today.
When you study with JCU Online, you can be sure that you will receive the best possible guidance and assistance to help you achieve your goals.
In addition to the academic and student networks you’ll develop, you will be introduced to your Student Success Advisor upon enrolment. They provide access to useful resources, dedicated
guidance and motivation throughout your study journey.
Got a question for your tutor? They’ll be available for any questions and advice via online chat.