In a nutshell
Love working with kids? Passionate about making sure they have the right start in life? The Diploma of Early Childhood Education and Care (CHC50113) from Kirana is an ideal course to take your child care career to the next level.
Throughout this course, you’ll learn how to shape the lives of children by planning, implementing and managing programs in education and care services. It’s one of the most fulfilling jobs you can have: supporting and nurturing kids throughout one of the most important stages of their youth.
Not only is early childhood education and care a fun and rewarding career path, it’s also an ever-growing industry. You’ll have a range of job roles to choose from when you graduate, and you’ll be contributing to the community while doing what you love (and what you’re good at!).
What you’ll need
There are no eligibility requirements for this course. However, it is preferred that the students have obtained a minimum of an Australian Senior Secondary School Certificate or equivalent.
Students are required to pass a Working with Children/ Vulnerable People Check (including Police Clearance) in the state or territory that they are working in prior to commencing work placement.
In this early childhood education course, the subjects you may study include:
- CHCECE009 - Use an approved learning framework to guide practice
- CHCECE016 - Establish and maintain a safe and healthy environment for children
- CHCECE017 - Foster the holistic development and wellbeing of the child in early childhood
- CHCECE018 - Nurture creativity in children
- CHCECE019 - Facilitate compliance in an education and care service
- CHCECE020 - Establish and implement plans for developing cooperative behaviour
- CHCECE021 - Implement strategies for the inclusion of all children
- CHCECE022 - Promote children’s agency
- CHCECE023 - Analyse information to inform learning
- CHCECE024 - Design and implement the curriculum to foster children’s learning and development
- CHCECE025 - Embed sustainable practices in service operations
- CHCECE026 - Work in partnership with families to provide appropriate education and care for children
- CHCLEG001 - Work legally and ethically
- CHCPRT001 - Identify and respond to children and young people at risk
- HLTAID004 - Provide an emergency first aid response in an education and care setting
- HLTWHS003 - Maintain work health and safety
- CHCDIV002 - Promote Aboriginal and-or Torres Strait Islander cultural safety
- CHCECE001 - Develop cultural competence
- CHCECE002 - Ensure the health and safety of children
- CHCECE003 - Provide care for children
- CHCECE004 - Promote and provide healthy food and drinks
- CHCECE005 - Provide care for babies and toddlers
- CHCECE007 - Develop positive and respectful relationships with children
- CHCINM002 - Meet community information needs
- CHCMGT003 - Lead the work team
- CHCPRP003 - Reflect on and improve own professional practice
- BSBINN502 - Build and sustain an innovative work
- CHCDIV001 - Work with diverse people
To be assessed as competent in this qualification, students are required to undertake 360 hours of supervised work placement in a regulated child care service which caters for children aged between 0-6. A minimum of 120 hours of this work placement will need to be completed specifically with babies 0-2 of age. In all work placement settings, students must have a minimum Diploma trained staff member supervising them throughout the work placement hours.
*If you have completed a Certificate III in Early Childhood Education and Care (CHC30113), you will only be required to complete 240 hours of work placement. Students will need to produce evidence of their Certificate.
Why Kirana Colleges?
Get the skills and can-do attitude that employees are looking for when you get qualified with Kirana Colleges! They have a commitment to delivering work-ready courses and training to ensure students thrive and succeed.
Since its beginning in 2009, Kirana Colleges has grown to offer over 50 qualifications ranging from Certificate II to Advanced Diplomas. Their in-demand courses offer a platform to launch a career in childhood education and care, community services, business administration and more.
Have the flexibility to study online, on campus or enjoy a blended learning experience – the choice is yours and the opportunities are endless!
Kirana Colleges is all about providing their students with a positive and supportive learning experience, which is why they’ve developed the Student Assistance Program (SAP). SAP is a confidential and free counselling service which includes a dedicated 24/7 hotline and free counselling sessions (available in person or via Skype) to help keep your mental health and wellbeing on track.
Got a question or concern about your studies? Get help when you speak to an academic VET teacher on Kirana’s Student Support Hotline or send an email to Student Support.