In a nutshell
The Certificate I in Construction, offered by Open Colleges, is the ideal course for anyone wishing to gain the knowledge, skills and qualification to enter the construction industry.
Throughout this online course, you’ll learn how to use basic construction tools and materials; essential WHS requirements, and how to apply them to your job on a day-to-day basis; effective ways of communicating in the construction world; and the best ways to plan your work.
This course has been built around a simulated construction project, allowing students to apply their learning to typical construction scenarios that you will face on real-world job sites. You will also be assessed on practical tasks undertaken in a workplace (a construction site or a friend or relative’s workshop).
What you’ll need
To be eligible to study this course, applicants must meet the following entry requirements:
- You will need to be at least 16 years old. If you are under 18 your enrolment form will need to be signed by a parent or guardian; AND
- Entry to the course requires the successful completion of English to Year 10 level. If you haven't successfully completed English at Year 10 level, you can demonstrate equivalency through one of the following:
- Successful completion of a Nationally Recognised Training qualification at Certificate II level or higher; OR
- 2 years relevant industry experience in a role that requires the use of written documentation and communication; AND
- If you decide to complete the practical tasks of this course on a construction site, you will be required to have a white card.
In this building & construction course, the subjects you may study include:
- CPCCCM2001A - Read and interpret plans and specifications
- CPCCOHS2001A - Apply OHS requirements, policies and procedures in the construction industry
- CPCCCM2005B - Use construction tools and equipment
- CPCCCM1011A - Undertake basic estimation and costing
- CPCCCM2004A - Handle construction materials
- CPCCCM1013A - Plan and organise work
- CPCCVE1011A - Undertake a basic construction project
- CPCCPD2013A - Remove and replace doors and door and window components
- CPCCCM1012A - Work effectively and sustainably in the construction industry
- CPCCCM1014A - Conduct workplace communication
Why Open Colleges?
Open Colleges is one of the largest private education providers in Australia. It offers a wide variety of courses, from leisure courses to vocational and higher education courses, many of which are government-accredited and employer-recognised. All courses are delivered by correspondence, allowing you to work at your own pace and around your own schedule. Studying with Open Colleges is perfect for people with busy lifestyles, and those wishing to work and learn for themselves.
As a student of Open Colleges, you will have access to a range of student and administrative support options. Your course trainers are available via email, messaging and through your online course forums in OpenSpace. You will also have access to help with study skills such as time management, essay writing and referencing.