In a nutshell
The Certificate II in Construction Pathways, offered by Open Colleges, provides a comprehensive overview of the construction industry and helps students decide which sort of apprenticeship to pursue.
Throughout this online course, you’ll learn the basics of carpentry, joinery and levelling; essential WHS policies and practices for the construction industry; how to use construction tools and materials, and work with measurements, calculations and other maths-based methods; and basic English literacy principals to help you to understand and interpret written instructions, manuals and safety documents.
This course is built around a simulated construction project, allowing you to apply what you learn to examples of real-life scenarios in the industry. You’ll also be assessed on practical tasks undertaken on a construction site or at a friend or relative’s workshop.
What you’ll need
To be eligible to study this course, applicants must meet the following entry requirements:
- You will need to be at least 16 years old. If you are under 18 your enrolment form will need to be signed by a parent or guardian; AND
- Entry to the course requires the successful completion of English to Year 10 level. If you haven't successfully completed English at Year 10 level, you can demonstrate equivalency through one of the following:
- Successful completion of a Nationally Recognised Training qualification at Certificate II level or higher; OR
- 2 years relevant industry experience in a role that requires the use of written documentation and communication; AND
- If you decide to complete the practical tasks of this course on a construction site, you will be required to have a white card.
In this building & construction course, the subjects you may study include:
- CPCCCM2001A - Read and interpret plans and specifications
- CPCCCM1015A - Carry out measurements and calculations
- CPCCOHS2001A - Apply OHS requirements, policies and procedures in the construction industry
- CPCCCA2002B - Use carpentry tools and equipment
- CPCCCA2011A - Handle carpentry materials
- CPCCCM1013A - Plan and organise work
- CPCCCM2006B - Apply basic levelling procedures
- CPCCVE1011A - Undertake a basic construction project
- CPCCJN2001A - Assemble components
- CPCCSH2001A - Prepare surfaces
- CPCCCM1012A - Work effectively and sustainably in the construction industry
- CPCCCM1014A - Conduct workplace communication
Why Open Colleges?
Open Colleges is one of the largest private education providers in Australia. It offers a wide variety of courses, from leisure courses to vocational and higher education courses, many of which are government-accredited and employer-recognised. All courses are delivered by correspondence, allowing you to work at your own pace and around your own schedule. Studying with Open Colleges is perfect for people with busy lifestyles, and those wishing to work and learn for themselves.
As a student of Open Colleges, you will have access to a range of student and administrative support options. Your course trainers are available via email, messaging and through your online course forums in OpenSpace. You will also have access to help with study skills such as time management, essay writing and referencing.