In a nutshell
The online Certificate II in Animal Studies course offered through Open Colleges will give you the tools to turn your love of animals into a fulfilling career. In this comprehensive program, students will gain the fundamental skills required to manage the daily needs of animals.
This includes training in core learning areas such as the provision of animal health care, basic first aid, and food, water and hygiene routines. Students will also learn how to participate in the workplace, including standard occupational health and safety practices, sourcing and synthesising animal care information and providing reception services for animal care facilities.
A compulsory workplace experience component of a minimum of 80 hours provides students with essential hands-on learning.
What you’ll need
Applicants must have completed year 10, or equivalent.
In this animal care course, the subjects you will study include:
- Work in the animal care industry
- Participate in workplace communications
- Participate in occupational health and safety processes
- Participate in environmentally sustainable work practices
- Feed and water animals
- Complete animal care hygiene routines
- Provide basic care of dogs
- Assist in health care of animals
- Provide basic first aid for animals
- Provide reception services for an animal care facility
- Provide information on companion animals, products and services
- Source information for animal care needs
Why Open Colleges?
Open Colleges is one of the largest private education providers in Australia. It offers a wide variety of courses, from leisure courses to vocational and higher education courses, many of which are government-accredited and employer-recognised. All courses are delivered by correspondence, allowing you to work at your own pace and around your own schedule. Studying with Open Colleges is perfect for people with busy lifestyles, and those wishing to work and learn for themselves.
As a student of Open Colleges, you will have access to a range of student and administrative support options. Your course trainers are available via email, messaging and through your online course forums in OpenSpace. You will also have access to help with study skills such as time management, essay writing and referencing.