In a nutshell
The Certificate II in Automotive Vocational Preparation, offered by Open Colleges, is an entry-level qualification that prepares students for careers in the automotive industry.
Throughout this online course, you’ll develop a foundation of knowledge and skills for working with light and heavy vehicles, outdoor power equipment, bicycles, marine craft and motorcycles. You’ll learn how to identify, inspect and perform basic repairs to the mechanical and electrical components of a wide variety of vehicles and automotive equipment.
A pre-apprenticeship qualification, this course is delivered online with a workplace project component, providing students with the opportunity to observe workplace procedures and utilise their knowledge and skills in a real-life, properly equipped workplace setting.
What you’ll need
To be eligible to study this course, applicants must meet the following entry requirements:
- You will need to be at least 16 years old. If you are under 18 your enrolment form will need to be signed by a parent or guardian; AND
- Entry to the course requires the successful completion of English to Year 10 level. If you haven't successfully completed English at Year 10 level, you can demonstrate equivalency through one of the following:
- Successful completion of a Nationally Recognised Training qualification at Certificate II level or higher; OR
- 2 years relevant industry experience in a role that requires the use of written documentation and communication.
In this automotive course, the subjects you may study include:
- AURLTA001 - Identify automotive mechanical systems and components
- AURETR003 - Identify automotive electrical systems and components
- AURTTK002 - Use and maintain tools and equipment in an automotive workplace
- AURASA002 - Follow safe working practices in an automotive workplace
- AURAEA002 - Follow environmental and sustainability best practice in an automotive workplace
- AURAFA003 - Communicate effectively in an automotive workplace
- AURAFA004 - Resolve routine problems in an automotive workplace
- AURTTA009 - Carry out mechanical pre-repair operations
- AURTTA027 - Carry out basic vehicle servicing operations
- AURTTC001 - Inspect and service cooling systems
- AURETR015 - Inspect, test and service batteries
- AURTTB001 - Inspect and service braking systems
Why Open Colleges?
Open Colleges is one of the largest private education providers in Australia. It offers a wide variety of courses, from leisure courses to vocational and higher education courses, many of which are government-accredited and employer-recognised. All courses are delivered by correspondence, allowing you to work at your own pace and around your own schedule. Studying with Open Colleges is perfect for people with busy lifestyles, and those wishing to work and learn for themselves.
As a student of Open Colleges, you will have access to a range of student and administrative support options. Your course trainers are available via email, messaging and through your online course forums in OpenSpace. You will also have access to help with study skills such as time management, essay writing and referencing.