About this course
Learn how to care for a large variety of animals by completing this online Certificate III in Captive Animals course.
You will gain hands-on experience with feeding, monitoring, providing care for and enriching the environment of captive animals.You will also learn how to communicate information to audiences of diverse age groups and backgrounds, provide assistance to zoo visitors and work effectively within a team.
Provided by North Coast TAFE in partnership with Open Colleges, the course is delivered online and also includes a work placement at an approved captive animal facility.
You will be required to undertake 100 hours in an Open Colleges approved animal care environment and to demonstrate your skills in the workplace according to the units of competency you are studying.
There are no formal entry requirements for this course, so anyone can apply. An ideal pathway for prospective learners includes:
- Holding a Certificate II in Animal Studies; OR
- Vocational training or work experience across a range of work settings
In this animal care course, the subjects you will study include:
- Work within a captive animal facility
- Prepare and maintain animal housing
- Assist with capturing, restraining and moving animals
- Maintain and monitor animal health and wellbeing
- Provide enrichment for animals
- Plan for and provide nutritional requirements for animals
- Comply with infection control policies and procedures in animal work
- Contribute to occupational health and safety procedures
- Participate in environmentally stable work practices
- Assist with exhibit design and renovation planning
- Provide basic care of common native animals
- Provide basic care of non-venomous reptiles
- Assist with conditioning animals
- Monitor animal reproduction
- Care for young animals
- Develop institutional husbandry guidelines
- Support collection management
- Prepare and present information to the public
Why Open Colleges?
Open Colleges is one of the largest private education providers in Australia. It offers a wide variety of courses, from leisure courses to vocational and higher education courses, many of which are government-accredited and employer-recognised. All courses are delivered by correspondence, allowing you to work at your own pace and around your own schedule. Studying with Open Colleges is perfect for people with busy lifestyles, and those wishing to work and learn for themselves.
As a student of Open Colleges, you will have access to a range of student and administrative support options. Your course trainers are available via email, messaging and through your online course forums in OpenSpace. You will also have access to help with study skills such as time management, essay writing and referencing.