In a nutshell
The Certificate III in Companion Animal Services course offered by the Animal Industries Resource Centre through Open Colleges will give you a nationally recognised qualification and high quality training in companion animal services and care.
This course is ideal for animal lovers who seek to work in pet stores, kennels and catteries, or those who would like to begin assisting dog trainers or vets. You can complete this course online and get the hands-on experience you need with practical learning and work placement training.
What you’ll need
Applicants must also meet the criteria to be eligible for this program:
- Have completed Year 10 or equivalent; OR
- Have a relevant qualification; OR
- Have relevant vocational experience; AND
- Be at least 16 years of age.
In this online companion animal services certificate program, the subjects you’ll study include: Core units:
- Work effectively in the companion animal industry
- Complete animal care hygiene routines
- Maintain and monitor animal health and wellbeing
- Comply with infection control policies and procedures in animal work
- Contribute to occupational health and safety processes
- Participate in environmentally sustainable work practices
- Provide advice on companion animal selection and general care
- Provide advice on selection and care of aquatic animals
- Capture, handle and transport companion animals
- Maintain aquascapes and aquatic animals
- Provide grooming services for companion animal comfort
- Provide companion animal hydro-bathing services
- Provide enrichment for animals
- Plan for and provide nutritional requirements for animals
- Provide basic care of birds
- Provide basic care of common native mammals
- Provide basic care of dogs
- Provide basic care of domestic cats
- Provide basic care of freshwater fish
- Provide basic care of mammals
- Provide basic care of rodents and rabbits
- Provide reception services for an animal care facility
- Apply point-of-sale handling procedures
- Coordinate merchandise presentation
- Balance point-of-sale terminal
- Operate retail technology
- Perform stock control procedures
Why Open Colleges?
Open Colleges is one of the largest private education providers in Australia. It offers a wide variety of courses, from leisure courses to vocational and higher education courses, many of which are government-accredited and employer-recognised. All courses are delivered by correspondence, allowing you to work at your own pace and around your own schedule. Studying with Open Colleges is perfect for people with busy lifestyles, and those wishing to work and learn for themselves.
As a student of Open Colleges, you will have access to a range of student and administrative support options. Your course trainers are available via email, messaging and through your online course forums in OpenSpace. You will also have access to help with study skills such as time management, essay writing and referencing.