In a nutshell
Studying this online HLT35015 Certificate III in Dental Assisting with Open Colleges provides you with the education and training to develop your skills as a professional dental assistant.
In this certificate course, you will develop skills in all aspects of dental assistance, including infection control and OH&S procedures, operation and maintenance of dental instruments, processing and storing of radiographic film and equipment, and cleaning and sterilising of instruments and treatment rooms.
You will also gain knowledge and understanding of first aid requirements and the disposal of surgery waste. In addition, this online dental assisting program will give you the administrative and communication skills required of a modern dental assistant, and a solid understanding of diverse patient care requirements.
Administrative training in how to manage appointments, process payments and maintain accurate client records will complement the more technical aspects of the course.
There is also a practical component to this course with 300 hours of work placement in a dental surgery of your choice.
This course will be superseded by HLT35021 – Certificate III in Dental Assisting. For now, you can still enrol in this course and you’ll be transitioned to the new course once it is available in early 2023.
What you’ll need
You will need to have completed year 10, or equivalent. Equivalency can be demonstrated by one of the following:
- A qualification at Certificate II level or higher OR
- 2 years of industry experience in a role that requires the use of written documentation and communication.
- You will need to be at least 16 years old. If you are under 18 your enrolment form will need to be signed by a parent or guardian.
- Entry to the course requires the successful completion of English to Year 10 level; or
- Successful completion of a Nationally Recognised Training qualification at Certificate II level or higher; or
- 2 years relevant industry experience in a role that requires the use of written documentation and communication.
- You will need access to a reliable computer and an internet connections, as well as basic computer skills.
First Aid requirements:
The unit HLTAID003/HLTAID011 Apply first aid (or its equivalent) is not delivered by Open Colleges. This unit can be satisfied via the completion of the nationally recognised unit of competency or its equivalent offered by an approved provider. You will need to provide a certified copy of a current certificate or Statement of Attainment to be provided credit for this unit.
In this dental course, the units you may study include:
- HLTWHS001 -Participate in work health and safety
- HLTHSS003 - Perform general cleaning tasks in a clinical setting
- HLTINF002 - Process reusable medical devices and equipment
- HLTINF001 - Comply with infection prevention and control policies and procedures
- HLTDEN001 - Prepare for and assist with oral health care procedures
- HLTDEN002 - Assist with dental radiography
- HLTOHC004 - Provide or assist with oral hygiene Communication and administration
- CHCCOM005 - Communicate and work in health or community services
- CHCDIV001 - Work with diverse people
- HLTDEN003 - Assist with administration in dental practice
- HLTAID011 - Provide first aid*
*You will need to provide a certified and current First Aid certificate from a Registered Training Organisation to demonstrate competency for HLTAID011 Provide First Aid at your own cost.
Why Open Colleges?
Open Colleges has been helping Australians realise their potential for over 125 years, and they're now one of Australia's leaders in online education. In the last decade alone, they've helped over 450,000 students gain the skills to launch, change or take the next step in their careers.
The common misconception is that studying online means that you’re studying alone, but at Open Colleges, they take great pride in the superior support provided to their students. They make it easy for you to get support when you need it with their student support team available Monday to Friday via email, phone and Live Chat and on the weekends, via Live Chat (when available). They’re here, in tandem with trainers and assessors, to make sure you’re supported the whole way through your course, from the time you enrol right through to your graduation.