In a nutshell
Studying this online HLT35021 Certificate III in Dental Assisting, offered in conjunction with Integrated Care & Management Training Pty Ltd (RTO: 90197), provides you with the education and training to develop your skills as a professional dental assistant.
In this certificate course, you will develop skills in all aspects of dental assistance, including infection control and OH&S procedures, operation and maintenance of dental instruments, processing and storing of radiographic film and equipment, and cleaning and sterilising of instruments and treatment rooms.
You will also gain knowledge and understanding of first aid requirements and the disposal of surgery waste. In addition, this online dental assisting program will give you the administrative and communication skills required of a modern dental assistant, and a solid understanding of diverse patient care requirements.
Administrative training in how to manage appointments, process payments and maintain accurate client records will complement the more technical aspects of the course.
There is also a practical component to this course with 350 hours of work placement in a dental surgery of your choice.
PLEASE NOTE – Open Colleges is a privately-run RTO, not government-run like a TAFE, so they cannot offer government funding. Please check eligibility requirements before beginning an enrolment with Open Colleges.
What you’ll need
You will need to have completed year 10, or equivalent. Equivalency can be demonstrated by one of the following:
- A qualification at Certificate II level or higher OR
- 2 years of industry experience in a role that requires the use of written documentation and communication.
- You will need to be at least 16 years old. If you are under 18 your enrolment form will need to be signed by a parent or guardian.
- Entry to the course requires the successful completion of English to Year 10 level; or
- Successful completion of a Nationally Recognised Training qualification at Certificate II level or higher; or
- 2 years relevant industry experience in a role that requires the use of written documentation and communication.
- You will need access to a reliable computer and an internet connections, as well as basic computer skills.
First Aid requirements:
The unit HLTAID003/HLTAID011 Apply first aid (or its equivalent) is not delivered by Open Colleges. This unit can be satisfied via the completion of the nationally recognised unit of competency or its equivalent offered by an approved provider. You will need to provide a certified copy of a current certificate or Statement of Attainment to be provided credit for this unit.
In this dental course, the areas you will cover you may study include:
- Dental Terminology: Understanding the specific terms and language used in the dental field.
- Patient Care: How to provide comfort, support, and assistance to patients before, during, and after dental procedures.
- Infection Control: Knowledge and practical skills to maintain high standards of infection control in a dental setting.
- Chair-side Assistance: How to effectively assist dentists during various dental procedures, including preparation and organization of dental instruments and materials.
- Oral Health Education: Techniques for educating patients about maintaining good oral health and preventing dental diseases.
- Dental Radiography: Basic principles and safety protocols of dental radiography, and how to assist in taking dental X-rays.
- Dental Anatomy and Physiology: Understanding of the structure, functions, and conditions of teeth, mouth, and jaw.
- Dental Office Administration: Skills to manage administrative tasks in a dental practice, including scheduling, record-keeping, and communication.
- Equipment Maintenance: How to maintain, clean, and sterilize dental equipment.
- Dental Procedures: An overview of common dental procedures, their purpose, and how to assist in their execution.
- First Aid: Providing immediate care in emergency situations, including CPR.
- Professional Ethics: Understanding the ethical and legal responsibilities in a dental practice.
Why Open Colleges?
Open Colleges has been helping Australians realise their potential for over 125 years, and they're now one of Australia's leaders in online education. In the last decade alone, they've helped over 450,000 students gain the skills to launch, change or take the next step in their careers.
The common misconception is that studying online means that you’re studying alone, but at Open Colleges, they take great pride in the superior support provided to their students. They make it easy for you to get support when you need it with their student support team available Monday to Friday via email, phone and Live Chat and on the weekends, via Live Chat (when available). They’re here, in tandem with trainers and assessors, to make sure you’re supported the whole way through your course, from the time you enrol right through to your graduation.