In a nutshell
The Certificate IV in Agriculture from Open Colleges prepares students to seek supervisory and team leader positions within the agricultural industry, or to manage their own agriculture business.
Throughout this course, you’ll gain intermediate skills in livestock and crop production. You’ll learn livestock production fundamentals, including welfare and breeding programs; delve into broadacre crop production; and develop budgeting and analysis skills for use in the industry. You will then specialise in one of two areas: organic production or agribusiness (the latter of which will prepare you to manage your own farming business).
This course is delivered online and also contains a minimum of 115 hours of work placement at an appropriate workplace. The workplace will be involved in farming and agriculture activities and will be able to provide you with access to specialist equipment and resources to help you develop your skills.
What you’ll need
To be eligible to study this course, applicants must meet the following entry requirements:
- You will need to be at least 18 years old; AND
- Entry to the course requires the successful completion of English to Year 12 level. If you haven't successfully completed English at Year 12 level, you can demonstrate equivalency through one of the following:
- Successful completion of a Nationally Recognised Training qualification at Certificate III level or higher; OR
- 3 years relevant industry experience in a role that requires the use of written documentation and communication; AND
- You will need the physical strength, ability and dexterity to use tools, mechanical equipment and/or machinery.
In this agriculture course, the subjects you may study include:
- AHCLSK404 - Implement and monitor animal welfare programs
- AHCLSK416 - Identify and select animals for breeding
- AHCBAC401 - Manage pastures for livestock production
- AHCBAC404 - Plan and implement agricultural crop maintenance
- AHCWHS401 - Maintain work health and safety processes
- AHCWRK309 - Apply environmental sustainable work practices
- AHCAGB402 - Analyse and interpret production data
- AHCBUS404 - Operate within a budget framework
- AHCORG402 - Manage organic livestock production
- AHCORG403 - Manage soil improvement
- AHCAGB403 - Keep financial records for primary production business
- AHCBUS401 - Administer finance, insurance and legal requirements
- AHCBUS509 - Develop and implement business structure and relationships
- BSBRSK401 - Identify risk and apply risk management processes
Why Open Colleges?
Open Colleges is one of the largest private education providers in Australia. It offers a wide variety of courses, from leisure courses to vocational and higher education courses, many of which are government-accredited and employer-recognised. All courses are delivered by correspondence, allowing you to work at your own pace and around your own schedule. Studying with Open Colleges is perfect for people with busy lifestyles, and those wishing to work and learn for themselves.
As a student of Open Colleges, you will have access to a range of student and administrative support options. Your course trainers are available via email, messaging and through your online course forums in OpenSpace. You will also have access to help with study skills such as time management, essay writing and referencing.