About this course
Designed to help working trades professionals and newcomers to the construction industry become licensed builders without the hassle of full-time classes, this Certificate IV in Building and Construction (Building) course is delivered entirely online to ensure ultimate flexibility and the freedom to study at your own pace.
Offered by North Coast TAFE through Open Colleges, the course is designed to give you a solid understanding of building fundamentals and structural principles for residential and commercial low rise construction projects. Learn how to prepare simple building sketches, interpret plans and specs, estimate costs for a range of projects, prepare contracts, plan construction work, select and procure the correct construction materials and conduct on-site supervision of construction works.
The course also covers building codes and standards, WHS protocols on construction sites, and how to comply with legal requirements and resolve business disputes. Upon completion of this course, you will have met the educational requirements needed for registration as a licensed builder in New South Wales, Queensland, Tasmania, the ACT and the Northern Territory.
Open up a world of possibilities with Open Colleges.
There are no formal entry requirements for this course, however it is recommended that applicants have some exposure to building and construction work.
In this building and construction course, the subjects you will study include:
- Prepare simple building sketches and drawings
- Read and interpret plans and specifications
- Apply building codes and standards to the construction process for low rise building projects
- Apply structural principles to residential low rise constructions
- Apply structural principles to commercial low rise construction
- Identify and produce estimated costs for building and construction projects
- Select and prepare a construction contract
- Plan building or construction work
- Select, procure and store construction materials for low rise projects
- Apply site surveys and set-out procedures to medium rise building projects
- Manage occupational health and safety in the building and construction workplace
- Conduct on-site supervision of building and construction projects
- Apply legal requirements to building and construction projects
- Resolve business disputes
- Manage small business finances
Why Open Colleges?
Open Colleges is one of the largest private education providers in Australia. It offers a wide variety of courses, from leisure courses to vocational and higher education courses, many of which are government-accredited and employer-recognised. All courses are delivered by correspondence, allowing you to work at your own pace and around your own schedule. Studying with Open Colleges is perfect for people with busy lifestyles, and those wishing to work and learn for themselves.
As a student of Open Colleges, you will have access to a range of student and administrative support options. Your course trainers are available via email, messaging and through your online course forums in OpenSpace. You will also have access to help with study skills such as time management, essay writing and referencing.