In a nutshell
The online Certificate IV in Disability course offered through Open Colleges will give you the essential education and training to provide valuable care for people with disabilities. This comprehensive certificate program builds upon previous industry knowledge and experience to help prepare students for more senior roles.
It will equip you with the skills required to effectively manage and supervise other employees, improve workplace efficiency and make informed decisions in order to enhance the comfort and independence of people with disabilities.
What you’ll need
Applicants must meet the following minimum requirements:
- Have completed English at Year 12 level; OR
- Hold a qualification at certificate III level, or higher; OR
- Possess at three years of industry experience in a role that requires the use of written communication
Students may also be required to undertake a criminal record check, or other statutory check, according to their work placement requirements.
In this disability services course, the subjects you will study include:
- CHCDIS007 – Facilitate the empowerment of people with a disability
- CHCDIV001 – Work with diverse people
- CHCCCS015 – Provide individualised support
- HLTAAP001 – Recognise healthy body systems
- CHCLEG003 – Manage legal and ethical compliance
- HLTWHS002 – Follow safe work practices for direct care work
- CHCDIS002 – Follow established person-centred behaviour supports
- CHCDIS009 – Facilitate ongoing skills development using a person-centred approach
- CHCDIS008 – Facilitate community participation and social inclusion
- CHCDIS005 – Develop and provide person-centred service responses
- CHCDIS010 – Provide person-centred services to people with a disability with complex needs
- CHCDIS004 – Communicate using augmentative and alternative communication strategies
- BSBLDR402 – Lead effective workplace relationships
- CHCADV002 – Provide advocacy and representation services
Why Open Colleges?
Open Colleges is one of the largest private education providers in Australia. It offers a wide variety of courses, from leisure courses to vocational and higher education courses, many of which are government-accredited and employer-recognised. All courses are delivered by correspondence, allowing you to work at your own pace and around your own schedule. Studying with Open Colleges is perfect for people with busy lifestyles, and those wishing to work and learn for themselves.
As a student of Open Colleges, you will have access to a range of student and administrative support options. Your course trainers are available via email, messaging and through your online course forums in OpenSpace. You will also have access to help with study skills such as time management, essay writing and referencing.