About this course
Studying the Certificate IV in Fitness (Personal Trainer) (SIS40215) course online with Open Colleges will provide you with the skills and training necessary to work and instruct in a gymnasium as a fitness instructor or registered personal trainer.
Upon completion of this certificate course you will have the fitness qualifications necessary to become an effective and accredited gym instructor or trainer.
This online fitness course includes a mandatory work placement of at least 60 hours. It is recommended that workplace assessments and training be undertaken in a health/fitness facility that provides access to a range of clients with real or simulated fitness goals.
To be eligible for entry into this course, applicants must meet the following requirements:
- Be at least 18 years old; AND
- Have completed Year 10; AND
- Hold a certificate III or higher; AND
- Hold a current first aid and CPR certificate; AND
- Be recognised as competent through a recognised training program or recognition process against the following units of competency:
- SISFFIT001 Provide health screening and fitness orientation
- SISFFIT002 Recognise and apply exercise considerations for specific populations
- SISFFIT003 Instruct fitness programs
- SISFFIT004 Incorporate anatomy and physiology principles into fitness programming
- SISFFIT005 Provide healthy eating information
- SISFFIT006 Conduct fitness appraisals
- SISFFIT014 Instruct exercise to older clients
- SISXCCS001 Provide quality service
You will be also be required to possess the physical fitness necessary to undertake tasks including demonstrating exercise, spotting of exercises and the fulfilment of maintenance/risk management procedures during your work placement.
In this fitness course, the units of competency you may study include:
- SISFFIT025 – Recognise the dangers of providing nutrition advice to clients
- SISFFIT026 – Support healthy eating through the Eat for Health Program
- SISXFAC001 – Maintain equipment for activities
- SISXFAC002 – Maintain sport, fitness and recreation facilities
- ISFFIT018 – Promote functional movement capacity
- SISFFIT019 – Incorporate exercise science principles into fitness programming
- SISFFIT017 – Instruct long-term exercise programs
- SISFFIT015 – Collaborate with medical and allied health professionals in a fitness context
- ICTICT203 – Operate application software packages
- SISFFIT021 – Instruct personal training programs
- SISFFIT016 – Provide motivation to positively influence exercise behaviour
- SISFFIT020 – Instruct exercise programs for body composition goals
- SISFFIT023 – Instruct group personal training programs
- SISXRES001 – Conduct sustainable work practices in open spaces
- SISFFIT013 – Instruct exercise to young people aged 13 to 17 years
- SISXCCS003 – Address client needs
- BSBSMB401 – Establish legal and risk management requirements of small business
- BSBSMB403 – Market the small business
- BSBSMB406A – Manage small business finances
- BSBSMB404 – Undertake small business planning
Why Open Colleges?
Open Colleges is one of the largest private education providers in Australia. It offers a wide variety of courses, from leisure courses to vocational and higher education courses, many of which are government-accredited and employer-recognised. All courses are delivered by correspondence, allowing you to work at your own pace and around your own schedule. Studying with Open Colleges is perfect for people with busy lifestyles, and those wishing to work and learn for themselves.
As a student of Open Colleges, you will have access to a range of student and administrative support options. Your course trainers are available via email, messaging and through your online course forums in OpenSpace. You will also have access to help with study skills such as time management, essay writing and referencing.