In a nutshell
The Diploma of Beauty Therapy (SHB50115) offered by Open Colleges is a nationally recognised qualification. This online beauty course will give you the knowledge and skills to forge a successful career as a beauty therapist. Professional beauty therapists play an important role, helping people to look and feel their best.
Whether you’re just starting out or are in the industry already, this beauty therapy course will equip you with the skills to provide a professional service and get ahead. You’ll learn to provide a range of beauty services like facials, massage, waxing, aromatic oil therapy, stone massage and reflexology relaxation techniques, as well as develop practical business skills like team coordination, communication, customer service to equip you to take on leadership roles such as Salon Manager. Students need to hold a current first aid certificate in order to complete the course.
You will also be able to practice your skills with a series of state-of-the-art beauty kits that cover nails, eyelash extension, waxing, tinting, facials, make-up and body treatments. The kits include:
- Manicure and pedicure kit (valued at $162)
- Eyelash extensions kit (valued at $229)
- Waxing and tinting kit (valued at $199)
- Makeup kit (valued at $307)
- Facial kit (valued at $523)
- Body treatment kit (valued at $107)
Put your new skills into practice! This course requires students to complete 155 hours of work placement in a beauty salon setting of your choosing, supervised by a qualified staff member.
What you’ll need
To be eligible to enrol in this course, you must meet one of the following entry requirements:
- Be at least 18 years old; AND
- Have access to a computer and the internet; AND
- Hold a minimum qualification of a Certificate II level or higher; OR
- Demonstrate 2 years of relevant industry experience in a role that requires the use of written documentation and communication.
- Successful completion of Year 12 English or equivalent; OR
- Successful completion of a Nationally Recognised Training qualification at Certificate III level or higher; OR
- Demonstrate 3 years of relevant industry experience in a role that requires the use of written documentation and communication.
In this online beauty therapy course, the subjects may study include:
- SHBBBOS001 – Apply cosmetic tanning products
- SHBBNLS001 – Provide manicure and pedicare services
- SHBBINF001 – Maintain Infection Control Standards
- SHBXWHS001 – Apply safe hygiene, health and work practices
- SHBXIND001 – Comply with organisational requirements within a personal services environment
- SHBBRES001 – Research and apply beauty industry information
- SHBBMUP001 – Apply eyelash extensions
- SHBXCCS002 – Provide salon services to clients
- SHBXCCS001 – Conduct salon financial transactions
- SHBBHRS001 – Provide waxing services
- SHBBFAS001 – Provide lash and brow services
- SHBBBOS002 – Provide body massage
- SHBBBOS003 – Provide body treatments
- SHBBBOS006 – Provide superficial lymph massage treatments
- SHBBMUP002 – Design and apply make-up
- SHBBMUP004 – Design and apply remedial camouflage make-up
- SHBBFAS002 – Provide facial treatments and skin care recommendations
- SHBBHRS002 – Provide female intimate waxing services
- SHBBBOS004 – Provide aromatherapy massage
- SHBBCCS002 – Prepare personalised aromatic plant oil blends for beauty treatments
- SHBBFAS003 – Provide specialised facial treatments
- SHBBSKS005 – Provide micro-dermabrasion treatments
- SHBBBOS005 – Use reflexology relaxation techniques in beauty treatments
- SHBBSPA004 – Provide Indian head massages for relaxation
- SHBBSPA003 – Provide stone therapy massages
*As part of the course, students are required to complete a Senior First Aid certificate from an accredited provider.
Why Open Colleges?
Open Colleges is one of the largest private education providers in Australia. It offers a wide variety of courses, from leisure courses to vocational and higher education courses, many of which are government-accredited and employer-recognised. All courses are delivered by correspondence, allowing you to work at your own pace and around your own schedule. Studying with Open Colleges is perfect for people with busy lifestyles, and those wishing to work and learn for themselves.
As a student of Open Colleges, you will have access to a range of student and administrative support options. Your course trainers are available via email, messaging and through your online course forums in OpenSpace. You will also have access to help with study skills such as time management, essay writing and referencing.