In a nutshell
Turn your flair for creating inspiring living and work spaces into a lucrative career with this nationally recognised MSF50222 Diploma of Interior Design qualification from Open Colleges. This course will equip you with all the crucial interior design skills required to succeed in the industry, from design principles and dealing with clients, to understanding and interpreting briefs, working with suppliers and drawing up documents, and identifying and recommending materials and furniture.
You will learn how to employ your creativity and turn it into design concepts, and how to excel in using technical, creative and conceptual skills required to plan and decorate interiors for commercial, residential or heritage buildings. By the end of the course you will be able to research, conceptualise, draw and present your ideas, as well as gaining knowledge in small business operation and client communication.
Importantly, by the end of the course you will have built an extensive portfolio of work that you can proudly present to prospective employers or clients.
PLEASE NOTE – Open Colleges is a privately-run RTO, not government-run like a TAFE, so they cannot offer government funding. Please check eligibility requirements before beginning an enrollment with Open Colleges.
What you’ll need
There are no formal education requirements for this qualification.
To successfully complete this course, Open Colleges recommends that students:
- Be over 18 years of age;
- Have language, literacy and numeracy skills that ensures the ability to read and comprehend technical terms and communicate effectively through email. These skills are equivalent to those that would be required to successfully complete year 12;
- Have access to a modern computer with high-speed internet;
- Have basic computing skills including the ability to make a short video.
Minimum computer requirements
For 32-bit AutoCAD:
- 32-bit Intel® Pentium® 4 or AMD Athlon™ Dual Core, 3.0 GHz or higher with SSE2 technology
For 64-bit AutoCAD:
- AMD Athlon 64 with SSE2 technology
- AMD Opteron™ with SSE2 technology
- Intel® Xeon® with Intel EM64T support with SSE2 technology
- Intel Pentium 4 with Intel EM64T support with SSE2 technology
- Microsoft Office 2007 or equivalent
- Broadband Internet Connection
- Minimum 8GB
- HDD- 10GB (min) available hard disc space for installation; additional free space is required during installation.
- Windows display adapter capable of 1024x768 with True Color capabilities (DirectX® 9 or DirectX 11 compliant card recommended but not required)
- DVD – CD-Rom Drive
- 1280 x 800 resolution display (1280 x 1024 recommended) with 16 – bit colour and 512 MB of V RAM
- Mac OS X v 10.6.8 or v 10.7
- Multicore Intel® processor with 64-bit support
You will also be required to register for AutoCAD software, which is available free for students enrolled in an approved education institution.
When completing the MSF50222 Diploma of Interior Design qualification from Open Colleges, you may study the following subjects:
- CUAACD313 - Produce technical drawings
- CUADES302 - Explore and apply the creative design process to 2D forms
- MSFID4019 - Research interior decoration and design influences
- CUADES303 - Explore and apply the creative design process to 3D forms
- BSBCRT512 - Originate and develop concepts
- CUAACD311 - Produce drawings to communicate ideas
- CUADES301 - Explore the use of colour
- MSFID4016 - Design colour schemes for interior and exterior spaces
- MSFID5018 - Provide interior styling service
- MSMENV272 - Participate in environmentally sustainable work practices
- MSFGN4001 - Research and meet ethical and compliance requirements
- MSFID5020 - Design residential interiors
- MSFID5022 - Explore and apply creative design methodology to interior space
- BSBSMB420 - Evaluate and develop small business operations
- BSBDES401 - Generate design solutions
- MSFID4018 - Research and recommend hard materials and finishes for interiors
- MSFID5025 - Develop residential interior design project documentation
- MSFID4014 - Produce digital models and documentation for interior design projects
- CUAANM303 - Create 3D digital models
- MSFID4017 - Research and recommend furniture and accessories
- MSFID4021 - Design soft furnishing solutions for interior spaces
- BSBDES502 - Establish, negotiate and refine a design brief
- MSFID5021 - Evaluate site structure and services for interior design briefs
- MSFID5016 - Develop decoration proposals for complex sites
- MSFID4013 - Design residential interior lighting
- CUAPPR503 - Present a body of own creative work
- CPCCWHS1001 - Prepare to work safely in the construction industry*
*Note: Open Colleges does not offer this Unit of Competency. You will be required to undertake the Unit of Competency with an external provider at your own cost.
Why Open Colleges?
Open Colleges has been helping Australians realise their potential for over 125 years, and they're now one of Australia's leaders in online education. In the last decade alone, they've helped over 450,000 students gain the skills to launch, change or take the next step in their careers.
The common misconception is that studying online means that you’re studying alone, but at Open Colleges, they take great pride in the superior support provided to their students. They make it easy for you to get support when you need it with their student support team available Monday to Friday via email, phone and Live Chat and on the weekends, via Live Chat (when available). They’re here, in tandem with trainers and assessors, to make sure you’re supported the whole way through your course, from the time you enrol right through to your graduation.