In a nutshell
If you have a passion for enriching the lives of older people and enjoy being creative, then this CHC43415 Certificate IV in Leisure and Health from Phillips Institute is an ideal course for you to consider. This nationally recognised qualification is designed to prepare individuals for a career as an Activities Officer or Lifestyle Coordinator in residential aged care and community settings.
The Certificate IV in Leisure and Health qualification covers a range of topics that include person-centred care, designing and delivering programs that meet client needs, enhancing communication skills, and promoting healthy living. As an integral part of the overall health care team, Activities Officers play a crucial role in promoting and maintaining the physical, emotional and social wellbeing of residents of these settings.
Upon completion of this course, graduates will be equipped with the skills and knowledge to design and deliver person-centred activities programs that enhance communication skills, promote healthy living and contribute to the overall wellbeing of clients. The course also provides graduates with the opportunity to apply for membership of Diversional Therapy Australia, a professional organisation for leisure and health practitioners.
Delivery mode is via classroom-based skills training, blended online theory plus aged care practical placement; or flexible online delivery plus practical placement or work-based learning.
This course is covered by the Victorian Government’s Skills First funding program and eligible students can have 100% of their tuition fees covered. Please enquire now to see if you qualify for government funding.
What you’ll need
The entry requirements for this course are:
- Recommended (but not essential) completion of Certificate III in Aged Care, Certificate III in Individual Support or other relevant qualification before enrolling in this course
- Vocational experience in various work environments without a qualification is also encouraged to apply
- Fluency in speaking, reading, and writing in English is required to gain maximum benefit
- Basic computer and internet skills and access are also necessary.
While completing the CHC43415 Certificate IV in Leisure and Health qualification from Phillips Institute, you may study the following subjects:
- CHCCOM002 - Use communication to build relationships
- CHCDIV001 - Work with diverse people
- CHCLAH005 - Incorporate lifespan development and sociological concepts into leisure and health programming
- CHCPRP003 - Reflect on and improve own professional practice
- CHCLAH003 - Participate in the planning, implementation and monitoring of individual leisure and health programs
- CHCLAH004 - Participate in planning leisure and health programs for clients with complex needs
- HLTAAP002 - Confirm physical health status
- HLTWHS002 - Follow safe work practices for direct client care
- CHCLAH002 - Contribute to leisure and health programming
- CHCLAH001 - Work effectively in the leisure and health industries
- CHCAGE001 - Facilitate the empowerment of older people
- CHCDIS007 - Facilitate the empowerment of people with a disability
- CHCCCS015 - Provide individualised support
- CHCAGE005 - Provide support to people living with dementia
- CHCDIS008 - Facilitate community participation and social inclusion
- CHCPAL001 - Deliver care services using a palliative approach
- CHCCCS025 - Support relationships with carers and families
Why Phillips Institute?
Phillips Institute (RTO: 21868) is an established and reputable vocational education and training provider located in Victoria. With over 25 years of experience in the industry, the institute has built a strong reputation for delivering high-quality training programs across a range of fields, including early childhood education and individual support for disability and aged care specialisations.
Phillips Institute offers a wide range of high-quality courses, from vocational training to professional development programs, to cater to the diverse needs of students and working professionals. With a strong focus on practical skills, innovative teaching methodologies, and industry-relevant curricula, Phillips Institute ensures its graduates are well-equipped to thrive in the competitive job market.
The Institute's dedicated faculty, comprising experienced professionals and academic experts, play a pivotal role in creating a supportive learning environment. Small class sizes facilitate personalised attention and encourage students to actively engage with the course material, while state-of-the-art facilities and resources enhance the overall learning experience.
Student support services at Phillips Institute are designed to cater to various student needs. These services include:
1. Academic Support: Students can access tutoring and mentoring services, academic workshops, and online resources to supplement their coursework and develop crucial study skills.
2. Career Services: The Institute offers guidance on job search strategies, resume preparation, interview skills, and networking opportunities, ensuring students are well-prepared to secure employment upon graduation.
3. Financial Assistance: All courses at Phillips Institute are now tuition fee free for students eligible for government funding from the Skills First initiative. They also offer flexible payment plans to students who don't qualify for this funding.
By integrating comprehensive academic programs with unparalleled student support services, Phillips Institute stands as a premier choice for individuals seeking to advance their education and careers in a supportive, nurturing environment.