In a nutshell
Help bring the ancient art of Chinese natural medicine to an emerging modern market by studying this Bachelor of Health Science (Chinese Medicine) course.
If you’re interested in alternative and holistic health, and want a career working hands-on with people, this qualification will help you build the skills and knowledge required to start an exciting new career.
A holistic form of medicine that views the interaction of mind, body and spirit as an integral part of both disease management and health restoration, Chinese medicine remains relevant in contemporary society for people seeking alternative treatments that target the root causes of pain and ill health over their symptoms.
This qualification will enable you to build the skills, knowledge and insights required to work in the exciting and rewarding world of modern Chinese medicine practice.
In this course, you’ll have the opportunity to undertake clinical practical placement, in order to help you graduate with the necessary experience and personal abilities required to treat a wide range of patients after course completion.
<div class="youtube_iframes"><iframe src=" https://www.youtube.com/embed/BUN44KguGCk" width="300" height="175" frameborder="0"></iframe></div> <p><b> Study a Bachelor of Health Science (Chinese Medicine)</b></p>
What you’ll need
To be eligible to study this course, applicants must meet the following entry requirements:
- Year 12 or equivalent with ATAR 60 or overseas equivalent; OR
- At least 1 equivalent full-time student loan of a qualification at AQF level 6 (associate degree) or above; OR
- Foundation studies or preparatory program recognised for admission purposes by another Australian higher education provider; OR
- Provided evidence of informal and/or non-formal learning that satisfied the criteria for special entry.
Before undertaking clinical work students must hold a valid national police clearance and first aid certificate.
For international students, English language proficiency to equivalent IELTS 7.0 (academic) with no skills band less than 6.5 is also required.
In this natural therapies course, the subjects you may study include:
- Anatomy and physiology 1
- Counselling and communication skills
- Anatomy and physiology 2
- Biochemistry 1
- Anatomy and physiology 3
- Research and evidence-based practice
- General pathology
- Biochemistry 2
- Pathophysiology and clinical diagnosis 1
- Pathophysiology and clinical diagnosis 2
- Pathophysiology and clinical diagnosis 3
- CM foundations
- CM diagnosis
- Musculoskeletal anatomy
- Terminology and history of Chinese medicine
- Acupuncture point location and theory 1
- CM pathology
- CM pharmacology
- Acupuncture point location and theory 2
- CM pharmacology 2
- Chinese massage (Tui Na)
- Acupuncture therapeutics and techniques 1
- Acupuncture therapeutics and techniques 2
- Acupuncture ancillary techniques
- CM internal medicine 1
- CM musculoskeletal traumatology
- CM clinical practicum 1
- CM clinical practicum 2
- CM internal medicine 2
- Advanced CM formulae
- CM ear, eye, nose and throat
- CM clinical practicum 3
- CM gynaecology/obstetrics
- CM herbal processing and dispensing
- Advanced acupuncture techniques
- CM classics 1
- CM clinical practicum 4
- CM mental health
- CM classics 2
- CM clinical practicum 5
- CM dietary therapy and health
- CM dermatology/external medicine
- CM paediatrics
- CM clinical practicum 6
- CM case conferences
Why Southern School of Natural Therapies?
The Southern School of Natural Therapies is equipped with over 50 years of academic excellence; making is the longest established school of its kind. Backed by a teaching staff that includes some of Australia’s leading lectures and practitioners, SSNT is the place to be when it comes to learning about complementary and alternative medicine.
Their courses in Health Science, Naturopathy, Nutritional Medicine, Clinical Myotherapy and more will take you from student to graduate practitioner, all under the expert supervision of some of Australia’s best clinicians and trainers!
The Southern School of Natural Therapies is part of Think: Education Group which includes some of Australia’s most respected and iconic specialist colleges, and together have educated over 9,500 students.
At the start of each semester the Southern School of Natural Therapies host a detailed orientation program to help new students settle in and prepare for their new learning experience. The program includes a range of activities, social events (includes the annual rooftop party), and a showbag full of freebies and useful goodies.
With a dedication to providing optimal wellbeing to its students, SSNT offer them full access to their Think Wellbeing Centre on the Fitzroy campus. Receive a discounted student rate and enjoy a range of professional natural therapy treatments.
All students will also have access to the convenient online student portal, student services team and free and confidential counselling.
This course can be delivered on campus to provide you with practical training in a face-to-face learning environment. It is available to study at the following locations: