In a nutshell
Providing insight into international trade, diplomatic relations and global politics, this Bachelor of Social Science With a Major in Security and International Relations allows you to take your career to the global stage.
You will study security and risk on a global scale, look at international relations and politics, examine how trade laws impact commerce and gain a better understanding of foreign policy and diplomacy in action.
Delivered entirely online by Swinburne Online, this course allows you the flexibility to tailor your study schedule around your other commitments.
What you’ll need
Applicants must meet the following entry requirements to enrol in this course:
- Successful completion of the Victorian Certificate of Education (VCE), or its equivalent, including units 3 and 4 in English with a minimum score of 25, and meet the associated minimum ATAR score; OR
- Completion or partial completion of an approved tertiary qualification; OR
- Significant and relevant work experience
In this social science course, the subjects you may study include:
- International politics
- Australian foreign policy
- Dictators and democrats: comparative politics
- International relations and security studies
- Conflict resolution
- War and peace in the 20th century
- Critical perspectives on terrorism
- Australian politics
- History, politics and human rights
- Learning and communicating online
- Introduction to research methods
- Sociological foundations
Plus 12 elective units.
You may be eligible for a credit transfer if your previous education or work experience meet certain criteria.
Why Swinburne Online?
With strong links to industry and a focus on practical skills, Swinburne gives students an edge in the competitive job market. Placing in the prestigious QS Graduate Employability Rankings, Swinburne shapes graduates who are confident and competent in meeting the challenges of a fast-changing world. Over 100 years, Swinburne has educated more than 150,000 graduates in areas ranging from science, technology and engineering through health, education and business to media, design and innovation. Swinburne Online has drawn on more than 20 years’ experience in the online tertiary education space to help over 9,600 students graduate with an industry-recognised qualification.
As a Swinburne Online student you’ll have access to a range of support options to help you get the most out of your learning. A dedicated team of Student Advisors are available seven days a week to answer your questions – academic, technical or administrative. You’ll also be assigned an eLearning advisor who will be your academic point of contact for the duration of your course.