In a nutshell
A career as a key leader in public health could be as little as two years away with a Bachelor of Applied Public Health from Torrens University Australia.
In this course, you’ll develop a broad base of technical health promotion knowledge, and be given a variety of practical opportunities to develop relevant experience. You’ll learn about health policy and management, disease control, epidemiology and environmental health, and be challenged to test that knowledge through assessments including debates, research and academic writing.
You’ll also have the opportunity to undertake a practical unit running a health promotion campaign or project managing a public health grant application. In addition, students may apply for an overseas elective delivered by an international partner organisation.
Wherever you study, this course positions you to take a global perspective: with a wide range of elective units available for students seeking to learn about global development, humanitarian work, specific health challenges in the Asia-Pacific and future health challenges, this course sets you up for a rewarding career in health planning across a wide variety of contexts.
Meet Jacinta – a Torrens University Australia health student
What you’ll need
To be eligible to study this course, applicants must meet the following entry requirements:
- Have completed an Australian secondary education qualification, or equivalent; OR
- Have completed or partly completed a qualification at an associate degree-level or above; OR
- Have completed a VET qualification at certificate IV-level or above; OR
- Have a Special Tertiary Admission Test percentile rank or equivalent
Torrens University Australia also offers guaranteed entry to students who have achieved at least:
- An ATAR of 60 or equivalent; OR
- A GPA of 3.5 in a scale of 7 at another Australian university; OR
- A Special Tertiary Admissions Test (STAT) rank of 155
Students applying to study at the Adelaide campus must also complete a SATAC application.
All students are also required to demonstrate sufficient competency in English.
In this health course, the subjects you may study include:
- Health surveillance and epidemiology
- Health promotion and environmental health
- Health promotion and advocacy
- Health policy, planning and management
- Health futures
- Foundations of public health
- Disease prevention and control
- Public health program development, implementation and evaluation
- Health systems, healthcare financing and economics
- Health informatics and e-technologies
- Social and political determinants of health
- Quantitative research methods and analysis in public health
- Public health nutrition and physical activity
- Mental health, alcohol and other drugs
- Management and leadership for public health industry placement
- Health, sustainable development and humanitarian emergencies
- Health issues in the Asia-Pacific region
- Health issues across the lifespan
- Global health
- Ethical and legal issues in public health and health care
- Qualitative research methods for public health
Why Torrens University Australia?
Torrens University Australia brings together some of the country’s most regarded tertiary institutes across industries like business, design, public health, hospitality, and sports management.
Studying with Torrens means learning from the industry’s best and brightest minds through cutting-edge syllabuses and small classroom environments. By becoming a Torrens student, you will not only have access to Torrens’ state-of-the-art campuses across the nation, you’ll also get to leverage Torrens status as a Laureate International University, and be able to access a global network of over 70 universities across 25 countries.
Torrens schools include; APM College of Business and Communication, Australasian College of Natural Therapies, Chifley Business School, Media Design School, Real Madrid Graduate School, Southern School of Natural Therapies and William Blue College of Hospitality.
Torrens Dynamic Online Learning mode means you can study at your own pace. By providing you with on-demand access to course materials and content, you can study when you want, where you want.
Torrens also runs Touch-Point weekend sessions that allow you to hear from industry professionals, chat to lecturers and expand your network.
Torrens students will also have access to Torrens Success Coaches, who will help you align your strengths and learning with your goals. From the moment you are admitted to your course, a Success Coach will be available to help you successfully navigate the educational landscape and build your personal and professional skills.
This course can be delivered on campus to provide you with practical training in a face-to-face learning environment. It is available to study at the following locations: