In a nutshell
Pursue a challenging and rewarding career in the dynamic field of mental health! This course is available either fully online, or as blended study with both online and on-campus (WA only) components.
By studying this course, you will learn practical skills including:
- supporting, communicating, and working with individuals experiencing mental health issues
- responding to critical situations
- making support plans
- referring clients to services
The CHC53315 Diploma of Mental Health also equips students with specialised knowledge, competencies, and skills to take a lead role in delivering and coordinating mental health programs and services.
During this course, our students learn the current legal and ethical frameworks affecting people with mental health, the range of services available for mental health sufferers, as well as gain an understanding of the health issues related to mental illness.
To prepare students for employment opportunities, 160 hours of work placement must be completed within a mental health organisation to study this course. TrainSmart Australia has a network of over 300 work placement organisations and offers free work placement support to help students find an appropriate organisation.
Upon completing this nationally recognised qualification, graduates can be presented with solid employment opportunities and further study options through university pathways.
If you’d like to study face-to-face, you may do so at TrainSmart’s Perth CBD campus.
Students of this course may be eligible for Western Australia’s Lower Fees, Local Skills funding. Enquire now to find out more about funding your future.
What you’ll need
To be eligible to study this course, applicants must meet the following entry requirements:
- Hold an Australian year 12 Certificate; OR
- Hold a Certificate IV qualification (or above); OR
- Completion of the Core Skills Profile for Adults online assessment passing at or above Exit Level 3 in the Australian Core Skills Framework in both reading and numeracy
Module 1: Mental Health Essentials Part 1
- HLTWHS006 - Manage personal stressors in the work environment
- CHCPRP003 - Reflect on and improve own professional practice
- CHCMHS001 - Work with people with mental health issues
- CHCDIV001 - Work with diverse people
- CHCDIV002 - Promote Aboriginal and/or Torres Strait Islander cultural safety
- CHCMHS009 - Provide early intervention, health prevention and promotion programs
Module 2: Mental Health Essentials Part 2
- CHCMHS011 - Assess and promote social, emotional and physical wellbeing
- CHCMHS005 - Provide services to people with co-existing mental health and alcohol and other drugs
- CHCPOL003 - Research and apply evidence to practice
- CHCADV005 - Provide systems advocacy services
- CHCMHS006 - Facilitate the recovery process with the person, family and carers
- CHCDFV006 - Counsel clients affected by domestic and family violence
- CHCCSM005 - Develop, facilitate and review all aspects of case management
Module 3: Mental Health Essentials Part 3
- CHCMHS013 - Implement trauma informed care
- CHCMHS012 - Provide support to develop wellness plans and advanced directives
- HLTWHS004 - Manage work health and safety
- CHCMHS002 - Establish self-directed recovery relationships
- CHCMHS003 - Provide recovery oriented mental health services
- CHCMHS004 - Work collaboratively with the care network and other services
- CHCMHS010 - Implement recovery oriented approaches to complexity
Why TrainSmart Australia?
Train hard, train well, train smart with TrainSmart Australia! With a range of online, on-campus and blended learning courses in community services, beauty, IT, business and more, TrainSmart Australia has an outstanding reputation for getting countless students recognised in their field and closer to conquering their career goals.
Why study with TrainSmart Australia? Their team of trainers have been handpicked and offer a wealth of experience and industry knowledge, which they will pass down to you. TrainSmart also has strong industry ties and partners in various business sectors, which means more employment prospects for their graduates.
Go on, join thousands of happy students of have studied with TrainSmart Australia and enquire about their accredited courses today!
SMR Learning Services Pty Ltd t/a TrainSmart Australia & New Horizons Learning Centre (Perth) which is a Registered Training Organisation (RTO 51771)
Whether you’re studying 100% online or on campus, at TrainSmart Australia, you’re not just another number. They value each and every student’s learning journey and strive to ensure it’s a positive one.
Each student is assigned a dedicated trainer who will act as a mentor throughout your course, guiding and supporting you every step of the way.
This course can be delivered on campus to provide you with practical training in a face-to-face learning environment. It is available to study at the following locations: