In a nutshell
A Bachelor of Communication from UniSA Online prepares students for a variety of careers in a wide range of industries. Communication is key in our increasingly connected world, and this versatile course transforms students into expert communicators – an essential aspect of every business and organisation.
As a Communication student, you’ll learn how to deliver effective communication strategies across a variety of media platforms. The course begins by covering core communication areas such as public relations, marketing, communication research, promotional communication and strategic communication planning.
You’ll then develop specialised knowledge in journalism and social media, studying areas such as news reporting, broadcast journalism, and the connections between news and social media. In your final year, you will complete a comprehensive, industry-standard communication plan.
Whether you want to work in digital or traditional media, marketing or public relations, this degree will ensure you have the theoretical knowledge and practical skills necessary for a dynamic career.
Study Communication on Demand with UniSA Online
What you’ll need
Applicants are required to meet one of the following criteria with a competitive result:
Higher education study
- Successfully completed equivalent to a minimum of half a year of full-time study of a higher education program at a recognised higher education provider
Vocational Education Training (VET)
- Completed an award from a recognised training organisation at Certificate IV or above
Work and life experience
- Passed a UniSA Online literacy and numeracy test and have relevant work experience, or
- Completed a UniSA Foundations Studies program or equivalent, or
- Qualified for Special Entry
Recent secondary education
- Completed a secondary education qualification equivalent to SACE, such as an interstate year 12 or international qualification
In order to complete your application, we will ask you to provide supporting documents as proof of your prior study or work experience.
In this communications degree, the subjects you may study include:
- Critical Approaches to Online Learning
- Introduction to Social Media
- Communication and Media
- Intercultural Communication
- News Reporting
- Public Relations: Theory and Practice
- Marketing Principles: Trading and Exchange
- Professional and Technical Communication
- News and Social Media Connections
- Language and the Media
- Writing and Editing for Publication
- Communication Research Methods
- Media Law and Ethics
- Broadcast Journalism
- Promotional Communication: Advertising, Publicity and Marketing
- Industry and Practice
- Advanced Writing and Editing for Publication
- Communication Management in Practice
- Integrated Communication Planning
- Advanced News Writing
Why UniSA Online?
With a background spanning more than 25 years in online education, you can trust that you'll be getting a high-quality university experience when you Study On Demand with UniSA Online. Considered a leader in the field, UniSA has transformed online learning and is one of Australia's largest online education providers (2016 Department of Education). Select a 100% online course that has been created by academics and experts in online learning, who are focused on giving you the best start on your chosen career path. With all course content and assessments available online, you can Study On Demand, on your terms, on your schedule.
Studying with UniSA Online means you can Study On Demand. You'll gain around the clock personalised support to assist you on your learning journey. Technical issues? Nervous about a looming assessment? Gain on-demand access to their helpful and dedicated team.
Whether you need help with assignments, referencing, administrative or technical support, you’ll have on-demand access to the UniSA Online team who’ll be there to support you, every step of the way.
Students will have access to the UniSA Online ‘Study Help’ hub which is packed with loads of resources, workshops and support services. With online tutor support available seven days a week, you’ll be able to get help when you need it. If you’ve got a question related to your course, you can expect to receive a response in 24 hours. You’ll also be able to retrieve a range of resources through their virtual ‘Ask the Library’ service.
Gain full control over your study and gain a career focused qualification when you learn with UniSA Online!