In a nutshell
Take the first step in a rewarding new career strengthening population health and wellbeing with this online Bachelor of Public Health course from UniSA Online.
Designed for students seeking to start a career in the exciting field of public health, this broad-based and industry-reflected qualification will equip you with the foundation skills, knowledge and abilities required to work professionally in a range of public health roles after course completion. Distinct from other areas of health, public health considers the health of populations, rather than of individuals – giving you the chance to dedicate your career to transforming and enhancing the systems, programs and policies that contribute to communities’ thriving.
In this course, you’ll have the opportunity to study diverse public health areas, including health promotion, health law and ethics, human biology, epidemiology and Aboriginal health issues, grounded in an understanding of the global and national public health context. You’ll build sought-after skills in the planning, management and evaluation of health policies, programs and services, and graduate prepared to lead and manage programs aimed at managing chronic illnesses, protecting refugee health, supporting vaccination programs, and controlling tobacco use.
Specifically mapped to align with nationally recognised foundation competencies for public health course graduates, this course is informed by current research and approaches. Delivered entirely online and with access to support seven days a week, this course fits into your lifestyle while still ensuring you have the support you need to succeed.
If you’re seeking a meaningful career helping others thrive, public health is for you – and this course is your next step.
What you’ll need
To be eligible to study this course, applicants must meet the following entry requirements:
- Have successfully completed the equivalent of a minimum of half a year of full-time study of a higher education program at a recognised higher education provider; OR
- Have completed an award from a registered training organisation at Certificate IV or above; OR
- Meet UniSA Online work and life experience by passing a UniSA Online literacy and numeracy test and having relevant work experience, or completing a UniSA Foundations Studies program or equivalent, or qualifying for special entry; OR
- Have completed a secondary education qualification equivalent to SACE, such as an interstate year 12 or international qualification.
In this health course, the subjects you may study include:
- Critical approaches to online learning
- Introduction to public health practice and research
- Foundations of human biology 1
- Health systems and services
- Foundations of human biology 2
- Contemporary Aboriginal issues
- First peoples’ health
- Research methods for public health
- Marketing for health and wellbeing
- Evaluation of public health practices
- Health promotion
- Sociological perspectives in public health
- Health law, ethics and policy
- Building healthy public policy
- Aboriginal public health practice and research
- Fundamentals of disease control
- Epidemiological principles and methods
- Project management for health and wellness
- Science and politics of preventative health
- Public health practice project 1
- Public health and wellbeing practice
- Public health and practice project 2
- Supporting dignity through enablement
- Transition to employment
- Disability and ageing: Diversity and discrimination
- Case management for consumer directed care in disability and aged care
- Digital mediascapes
- Managing digital media
- Business operations
- Managing decision making
- International management ethics and values
- Management of industrial relations
- Organisational leadership
- Big data analytics
- Crime prevention
- International business environments
- Crime, gender and sexuality
Why UniSA Online?
With a background spanning more than 25 years in online education, you can trust that you'll be getting a high-quality university experience when you Study On Demand with UniSA Online. Considered a leader in the field, UniSA has transformed online learning and is one of Australia's largest online education providers (2017 Department of Education). Select a 100% online course that has been created by academics and experts in online learning, who are focused on giving you the best start on your chosen career path. With all course content and assessments available online, you can Study On Demand, on your terms, on your schedule.
Studying with UniSA Online means you can Study On Demand. You'll gain around the clock personalised support to assist you on your learning journey. Technical issues? Nervous about a looming assessment? Gain on-demand access to their helpful and dedicated team.
Whether you need help with assignments, referencing, administrative or technical support, you’ll have on-demand access to the UniSA Online team who’ll be there to support you, every step of the way.
Students will have access to the UniSA Online ‘Study Help’ hub which is packed with loads of resources, workshops and support services. With online tutor support available seven days a week, you’ll be able to get help when you need it. If you’ve got a question related to your course, you can expect to receive a response in 24 hours. You’ll also be able to retrieve a range of resources through their virtual ‘Ask the Library’ service.
Gain full control over your study and gain a career focused qualification when you learn with UniSA Online!