In a nutshell
The Bachelor of Social Science (Child and Community), from Western Sydney University Online, is the ideal course for those seeking careers in community and human services, with a particular focus on supporting children and families.
Throughout this online course, you’ll grow to understand how contemporary issues and needs facing children and families impact a child’s development and the community at large. You’ll learn about the nature and effects of family violence; modern social change processes; cultural differences within the Australian community; the role of human services; and the knowledge and skills needed in community work and development.
This degree is delivered entirely online by specially trained coaches, providing students with a strong foundation in social sciences combined with an in-depth understanding of contemporary issues.
What you’ll need
To be eligible to study this course, applicants must meet the following entry requirements:
- Hold a Cert III or Cert IV, in any field; OR
- Completion or partial completion of tertiary study; OR
- Work experience, in any industry; OR
- Completion of Year 12 HSC (or equivalent), with a minimum required ATAR; OR
- Tertiary Preparation Certificate (TPC); OR
- Special Tertiary Admissions Test (STAT).
In this community services course, the subjects you may study include:
- The Individual in Society
- Understanding Society
- Working with Communities
- People, Place and Social Difference
- Social Research Methods
- Ethics in the Social Sciences
- Applied Social Research
- Contemporary Social Issues and Professional Practice
- Context of Human Services
- Working with Cultural Differences
- Community Work and Development
- Community and Social Action
- Families and Intimate Life
- Family Violence: Policy and Practice
- Child Abuse as a Social Issue
- Community Management and Organisations
Why Western Sydney University Online?
Start your study journey with Western Sydney University Online and gain the same online degree in business, social science, human resources, marketing and more as you would on campus.
Enjoy an advanced digital learning environment that’s has been created with your needs in mind. Begin your course at a time that’s convenient for you, and log on and learn at a time and place that suits you.
Western Sydney University have a reputation for excellence, so you can be proud to graduate with a degree that comes from a uni ranked in the top 2% globally!
When you join Western Sydney University Online you’re also joining an engaged online community of fellow students and academics, who are committed to helping you succeed during you studies.
Chat to a student advisor online or over the phone any day of the week, reach out to specially trained online learning advisors, gain access to online assignment assistance and ensure your work is always on the right track, plus stay in touch with other students via WSU’s specially-built digital portal.