In a nutshell
Midwifery is an immensely fulfilling profession where your naturally compassionate, supportive nature will make a difference for women during one of the most important times of their life. You’ll be caring for and ensuring their health, and the health of their baby, throughout their pregnancy and for a period after the birth too.
The Bachelor of Midwifery from Western Sydney University will provide you with theory and clinical practice experience that develops the expertise you’ll need to excel in your career as a professional midwife.
Using a woman-centred continuity of care model, through clinical placements and on-campus simulated clinical practice settings, you’ll learn how to apply critical, reflective and intellectual skills to the delivery of evidence-based, holistic midwifery care.
If providing support, guidance and care for new mums, bubs and their families, sounds like a rewarding career to you, enquire about the Bachelor of Midwifery from Western Sydney University today!
Study Nursing at Western Sydney University
What you’ll need
To be eligible to study this course, students must have a:
- National Criminal History Check: Students must have a current (expiring 3 years from date of issue) check valid for their entire course. A valid National Criminal history check must be an Australia wide check, include the student's full name matching their Student ID card and date of birth and not have any offences listed. If a student has a criminal history identified on their check, they must provide a Clinical Placement Authority Card (CPAC) or conditional letter from the NSW HealthShare Employment Screening and Review Unit; AND
- NSW Working with Children Check (WWCC) clearance letter issued under the category of volunteer valid for their entire course; AND
- A current approved first aid certificate valid for their entire course; AND
- A completed vaccination/immunisation card with all serology results containing expiry dates and currency must be maintained by the student to ensure compliance for their entire course; AND
- NSW Undertaking/Declaration form; AND
- Completed any additional health forms required (such as NSW Health Code of Conduct, Health Student Undertaking/Declaration and Tuberculosis (TB) Assessment Tool); AND
- Relevant Local Health District specific documentation as requested.
Enquire now to find out about the ATAR required to qualify for this course.
In this midwifery course, the subjects you may study include:
- Primary Health Care in Action
- Bioscience 1
- Midwifery Knowledge 1
- Midwifery Professional Practice 1
- Midwifery Professional Practice 2
- Human Relationships and Life Transitions
- Bioscience for Midwifery
- Midwifery Knowledge 2
- Midwifery Professional Practice 3
- Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Health
- Research for Nursing and Midwifery
- Midwifery Knowledge 3
- Midwifery Professional Practice 4
- Promoting Mental Health and Wellbeing 1
- Complex Care 1
- Legal and Ethical Issues in Midwifery
- Midwifery Professional Practice 5
- Complex Care 2
- Collaborative Care
- Psychosocial Issues in the Perinatal Period
- Midwifery Professional Practice 6
- Midwifery Practice - Global Maternal Health
- Being a Professional Nurse or Midwife
- Clinical Leadership and Professional Relationships
Why Western Sydney University?
Trust Western Sydney University to get you qualified in your field! Gain a recognised degree in Business, Health, Psychology, Communication, Medical Science, Criminology, Arts or loads more with WSU.
Study online or on-campus and gain valuable, real-life skills that'll see you succeed in the workforce. With a reputation for excellence, you can be proud to graduate with a degree that comes from a uni ranked in the top 2% globally! Open up to a world of possibilities and enquire about a course with WSU today.
When you join Western Sydney University you’re also joining an engaged online community of fellow students and academics, who are committed to helping you succeed during your studies.
Whether you're studying on-campus or online, students will have access to student advisors, specially trained online learning advisors, access to online assignment assistance to ensure your work is always on the right track, student welfare services including professional counselling, plus stay in touch with other students via WSU’s specially-built digital portal.
This course can be delivered on campus to provide you with practical training in a face-to-face learning environment. It is available to study at the following locations: