What does a secondary school teacher do?
- Preparing lesson plans
- Marking student work and providing feedback
- Fostering relationships with students and their parents
- Supervising planned activities
What skills do I need to be a secondary school teacher?
- Able to maintain discipline in the classroom
- Creative approach to teaching
- Strong problem solving skills
- Skilled in conflict resolution
- Empathetic and patient
During the course of their studies, secondary school teachers are able to elect their specialisations, choosing subjects that are of personal interest. Secondary school teachers can also opt to teach in certain geographical areas or to work with students who are perceived to have a socio-economic disadvantage or learning difficulties.