In a nutshell
Designed for non-law graduates, the Juris Doctor from Deakin University equips students with the knowledge and practical skills needed for contemporary legal practice. The course meets the academic qualifications necessary for admission to the legal profession.
Throughout this comprehensive course, you’ll gain a broad understanding of the policy informing the law, focusing on current policy issues and developing skills in the use of legal theory and legal research methods. The course is orientated towards commercial law and includes assessments involving problem-based written advice, an oral bail application, an assignment focusing on the implementation of procedural rules, preparation of a memorandum of advice, oral court submissions, and a file management project.
The course comprises 17 core units and 7 elective units. It is delivered fully online, with a compulsory three-day induction program held in Melbourne.
What you’ll need
To be eligible to study this course, applicants must meet the following entry requirements:
- All applicants must meet the minimum English language requirements; AND
- Entry will be based on performance in:
- A Bachelor degree in different discipline with a minimum Weighted Average Mark (WAM) of 65%; OR
- Bachelor degree in a different discipline with a Weighted Average Mark (WAM) of 60% and three years relevant work experience; OR
- A Master's degree in a different discipline.
In this law course, the subjects you may study include:
- Legal Method and Statutory Interpretation
- Contract Law and Policy
- Criminal Law and Policy
- Torts and Policy
- Commercial Law and Policy
- Law and Policy of Misleading Conduct and Product Liability
- Criminal Procedure and Policy
- Civil Procedure, Alternative Dispute Resolution and Policy
- Constitutional Law and Policy
- Administrative Law and Policy
- Property Law and Policy
- Evidence Law and Policy
- Corporate Law and Policy
- Land Law and Policy
- Trusts and Equitable Remedies
- Legal Practice, Ethics and Policy
- Advanced Legal Professional Practice
Why Deakin University?
Established in 1974 as Australia’s first regional university in Victoria, Deakin University has consistently raised the bar in delivering quality tertiary education with a focus on excellent teaching and research.
The multi-award winning education provider teaches over 53,000 students a year, offering renowned courses that integrate real-world expertise and practical skills. Get recognised with Deakin in a range of industries, including nutrition, sports management, property management, law, business and more. Plus, they’ve have ranked in the top 2% by the acclaimed Academic Ranking of World Universities (ARWU).
As a student of Deakin, you’ll get support every step of the way along your learning journey!
They’ve got a range of on-campus facilities and online features to help ease the pressure of study, including on-campus childcare services, a medical centre with qualified nurses and doctors, free and confidential counselling (face-to-face or via phone) and more.
Deakin also offer advisers and resources to help develop your academic skills. Advisers are available on campus and online to help guide you in your research, assignment and study practices.