In a nutshell
The Certificate III in Dental Assisting prepares you to assist with oral health care procedures, comply with infection control policies and procedures, process reusable equipment in health work and participate in work health and safety processes. This nationally recognised dental assisting qualification allows you to build on your existing communication skills and equips you with the skills required to assist with administration processes in dental practices.
Once you’ve graduated from a Certificate III in Dental Assisting, you will be qualified to work as a Health Care Assistant for a variety of dental professionals, including a Dentist, Dental Hygienist or Dental Therapist. As a Dental Assistant, your key focus is to ensure patients are comfortable and experience a high level of care, whether that’s at the front of house or whilst undergoing treatment.
This course includes both theory and practical components with all theory delivered online, meaning you set the pace of your studies to fit into your schedule.
This course also requires a minimum of 300 hours of work placement in a dental clinic and a suitable supervisor able to sign off on the practical demonstration elements.
What you’ll need
You will need to have completed year 10, or equivalent. Equivalency can be demonstrated by one of the following:
- A qualification at Certificate II level or higher OR
- 2 years of industry experience in a role that requires the use of written documentation and communication.
You will need to be at least 16 years old. If you are under 18 your enrolment form will need to be signed by a parent or guardian.
You will need to be a permanent Australian resident or equivalent.
In order to complete the on-line part of the course you will need regular access to the following:
- Computer: Laptop or desktop computer with working speakers or headphone points
- Internet: High speed internet such as Broadband or ADSL, T1/T2, fibre optic or cable. (Dial-up access will be significantly slower and is not recommended).
- Windows : Operating system – Windows XP or Vista 7 or above. Internet Browser – Internet Explorer 7 or higher or the latest version of Google Chrome
- MAC : Operating system: OS X 10.4 or later. Internet Browser – latest version of Google Chrome.
- Software: Flash, Adobe Reader, Microsoft Word (or Open Office which is free to download).
In this dental assisting course, the subjects you will study include:
HLTDEN003 - Assist with administration in dental practice
HLTINF001 - Comply with infection prevention and control policies and procedures
HLTDEN001 - Prepare for and assist with oral health care procedures
HLTINF002 - Process reusable medical devices and equipment
BSBWOR301 - Organise personal work priorities and development
BSBCUS301 - Deliver and monitor a service to customers
CHCDIV001 - Work with diverse people
CHCCOM005 - Communicate and work in health or community services
HLTDEN002 - Assist with dental radiography
HLTWHS001 - Participate in workplace health and safety
- *HLTAID003 - Apply first aid
*This course contains a core unit, HLTAID003 Provide first aid, which must be completed through an external RTO. Foundation Education has an agreement in place with Red Cross Australia (RTOID 3605) which allows students to receive training for this unit at a reduced price. Red Cross Australia is a third party training provider who conduct training and assessment services on behalf of Foundation Education.
Why Foundation Education?
Foundation Education is one of the few Registered Training Organisations (RTO) in Australia who endeavour to deliver flexible online training solutions designed to fit our students’ lifestyle. Since 1999, we’ve been focused on providing excellence in Vocational Education and Training and building partnership networks that drive the quality of graduates across each industry, with our partner RTO, the Australian Institute of Personal Trainers (AIPT). With more than 30 nationally recognised certificate and diploma level courses on offer, the Foundation Education difference means:
- Flexible Online Study – Courses that don’t require a practical placement are delivered 100% online so you can study whenever and wherever suits you. This also gives you the flexibility to choose your course length – whether that be the full term of your course or completing your study in as little as six months.
- Dedicated Student Support – Our industry experienced Subject Advisors, Assessors and Support Officers will support you from enrolment through to graduation. You can use them as often or as little as you like either via email or the telephone.
- Industry Relevant Courses – Course material is developed in consultation with industry experts to equip you with the job-ready skills and up-to-date knowledge required to support your career goals.
Foundation Education provides a dedicated student support team throughout your studies. Whether it is access to experienced Subject Advisors, Assessors or general Support Officers, we will support you from enrolment right through to graduation. You can use our team as often or as little as you like either via email or the telephone at no extra cost.