In a nutshell
The Certificate III in Dental Assisting prepares you to assist with oral health care procedures, assist in dental radiography and comply with infection control policies and procedures. This nationally recognised dental assisting qualification allows you to build on your existing communication skills and equips you with the skills required to assist with administration processes in dental practices.
Once you’ve obtained Certificate III in Dental Assisting, you will be qualified to work as a Dental Assistant for a variety of dental professionals, including a Dentist, Dental Hygienist or Dental Therapist. As a Dental Assistant, your key focus is to ensure patients are comfortable and experience a high level of care, whether that’s at the front of house or whilst undergoing treatment.
This course includes both theory and practical components with all theory delivered online, meaning you set the pace of your studies to fit into your schedule.
This course also requires a minimum of 350 hours of work placement in a dental clinic and a suitable supervisor able to sign off on the practical demonstration elements.
Please note: This is a fee-for-service program.
What you’ll need
Whilst there are no formal entry requirements mandated by the training package, students’ skills and capabilities to undertake this training product will be assessed and advice on suitability will be provided during the pre-enrolment process.
Students under the age of 18 years require the signed consent of a parent or guardian to enrol in this qualification.
For mandatory work placement (350 hours, including an initial 50 hours completed in simulation), students must have access to a dental practice and a qualified supervisor i.e. a person who holds Certificate III in Dental Assisting or higher relevant qualification. Students may need to undertake a Working with Children check to meet individual work placement employer requirements.
We will assist you in organising work placement location of your choosing.
You will need to be a permanent Australian resident or equivalent.
In order to complete the on-line part of the course you will need regular access to the following:
Computer: Laptop or desktop computer with working speakers or headphone points
Internet: High speed internet
Windows : Operating system – Windows 8 or above
Internet Browser: Google Chrome, Firefox or Microsoft Internet Explorer 11
MAC : Operating system - OS X 10.14 Mojave or later
Software: PDF Reader, Microsoft Word (or Open Office which is free to download)
In this dental assisting course, the subjects you will study include:
- CHCCOM005 - Communicate and work in health or community services
- CHCDIV001 - Work with diverse people
- HLTDEN015 - Prepare for and assist with oral health care procedures
- HLTDEN016 - Assist with dental radiography
- HLTDEN017 - Assist with administration in dental practice
- HLTINF002 - Process reusable medical devices and equipment
- HLTWHS001 - Participate in workplace health and safety
- *HLTAID011 - Provide first aid
- HLTDET001 - Construct models
- HLTINF006 - Apply basic principles and practices of infection prevention and control
*This course contains the unit, HLTAID011 Provide First Aid, which must be completed through an external RTO. Foundation Education has an agreement in place with Red Cross Australia (RTOID 3605) which allows students to receive training for this unit at a reduced price. Please note that the cost of this external training is not included in any of your course fees. Upon completion, you will need to submit a copy of your first aid certificate in order for us to process a Credit Transfer against this unit on your student record. If you have chosen your own third-party provider, you must submit a certified copy of your certificate. If you have undertaken training with Red Cross Australia, you must forward Foundation Education the email you receive which contains the electronic copy of your certificate.
Why Foundation Education?
Foundation Education provides students with access to quality vocational education and employment opportunities alongside their sister brand, the Australian Institute of Personal Trainers (AIPT), and a robust network of industry partners all around Australia.
With courses designed by industry experts, you'll gain the knowledge and experience to graduate with the job-ready skills employers seek. Plus, you can learn at your pace and place with flexible study options.
Whether you're interested in a career as a Dental Assistant, Teacher Aide, Office Manager, Physiotherapy Assistant, or something else, Foundation Education has a vocational study option to take you where you want to go.
The Foundation Education difference means:
- Flexible Online Study – The theoretical component of the courses can be completed online at your own pace.
- Dedicated Student Support – Industry-experienced Subject Advisors, Assessors and Support Officers will support you from enrolment through to graduation.
- Industry Relevant Courses – Course material is developed in consultation with industry experts to provide you with comprehensive skills and knowledge required to graduate job-ready.
- National Recognised Training - Every Certificate and Diploma offered is nationally recognised and accredited, meeting established industry needs and national quality assurance requirements.
Foundation Education RTO 22557