In a nutshell
The Certificate III in Early Childhood Education and Care (CHC30113) from Foundation Education, equips you with the knowledge and skills you need to support the implementation of an approved learning framework, and support children’s wellbeing, learning and development. This course equips you to work across a range of age groups by providing care for babies, toddlers and children under direct supervision.
As a graduate in Early Childhood Education and Care, you can work as a Child Care Assistant, Education Assistant, Outside School Hours Aide or Pre-School Assistant. Many early childcare positions offer flexibility in shifts and hours, allowing you to find a work-life balance that suits your lifestyle. If you are enthusiastic, motivated and committed to quality education, there is great career development potential for you. You can work your way up into a teaching position, or pursue further study and gain the qualification needed to work in a leadership position.
This course also requires a minimum of 120 hours of work placement in a registered childcare facility, supervised by a qualified staff member able to sign off on practical demonstration elements. You will also need to complete a First Aid Certificate to demonstrate competency for HLTAID004 Provide an emergency first aid response in an education and care setting at your own cost prior to undertaking your work placement.
There are also a number of statutory checks required by workplaces, such as a Working with Children Check. These may vary by state. In addition, individual workplaces may impose additional requirements on students undertaking work placement. You will be responsible for the costs of any such checks or requirements. Your work placement will need to be completed in Australia, and you will be responsible for the costs of any travel, accommodation, statutory checks or other requirements related to your work placement.
What you’ll need
Whilst there are no formal entry requirements mandated by the training package, students’ skills and capabilities to undertake this training product will be assessed and advice on suitability will be provided during the pre-enrolment process.
Students under the age of 18 years require the signed consent of a parent or guardian to enrol in this qualification.
Work Placement Requirements
Students must apply for their Working with Children check at course commencement. For mandatory work placement (120 hours), students must have access to a regulated education and care service provider, with appropriate range of work tasks and ratios of children, AND access to a qualified supervisor (i.e. a person who holds a Diploma of Early Childhood Education and Care or equivalent).
You will need to be a permanent Australian resident or equivalent.
In order to complete the online part of the course you will need regular access to the following:
- Computer: Laptop or desktop computer with working speakers or headphone points
- Internet:High speed internet such as Broadband or ADSL, T1/T2, fibre optic or cable (Dial-up access will be significantly slower and is not recommended)
- Windows : Operating system – Windows XP or Vista 7 or above. Internet Browser – Internet Explorer 7 or higher or the latest version of Google Chrome
- MAC : Operating system: OS X 10.4 or later. Internet Browser – latest version of Google Chrome
- Software: Flash, Adobe Reader, Microsoft Word (or Open Office which is free to download)
In this education course, the subjects you may study include:
- HLTWHS001 - Participate in workplace health and safety
- CHCECE002 - Ensure the health and safety of children
- CHCPRT001 - Identify and respond to children and young people at risk
- CHCECE007 - Develop positive and respectful relationships with children
- CHCECE003 - Provide care for children
- CHCECE005 - Provide care for babies and toddlers
- CHCECE004 - Promote and provide healthy food and drinks
- BSBWOR301 - Organise personal work priorities and development.
- CHCECE001 - Develop cultural competence
- CHCDIV002 - Promote Aboriginal and/or Torres Strait Islander cultural safety
- CHCECE009 - Use an approved learning framework to guide practice
- CHCLEG001 - Work legally and ethically
- CHCECE010 - Support the holistic development of children in early childhood
- CHCECE011 - Provide experiences to support children’s play and learning
- CHCECE013 - Use information about children to inform practice
- CHCECE006 - Support behaviour of children and young people
- CHCDIV001 - Work with diverse people
- * HLTAID004 - Provide an emergency first aid response in an education and care setting
* Please note that unit HLTAID004 – Provide first aid must be completed through an external provider.
Why Foundation Education?
Foundation Education is one of the few Registered Training Organisations (RTO) in Australia who endeavour to deliver flexible online training solutions designed to fit our students’ lifestyle. Since 1999, we’ve been focused on providing excellence in Vocational Education and Training and building partnership networks that drive the quality of graduates across each industry, with our partner RTO, the Australian Institute of Personal Trainers (AIPT). With more than 30 nationally recognised certificate and diploma level courses on offer, the Foundation Education difference means:
- Flexible Online Study – Courses that don’t require a practical placement are delivered 100% online so you can study whenever and wherever suits you. This also gives you the flexibility to choose your course length – whether that be the full term of your course or completing your study in as little as six months.
- Dedicated Student Support – Our industry experienced Subject Advisors, Assessors and Support Officers will support you from enrolment through to graduation. You can use them as often or as little as you like either via email or the telephone.
- Industry Relevant Courses – Course material is developed in consultation with industry experts to equip you with the job-ready skills and up-to-date knowledge required to support your career goals.
Foundation Education provides a dedicated student support team throughout your studies. Whether it is access to experienced Subject Advisors, Assessors or general Support Officers, we will support you from enrolment right through to graduation. You can use our team as often or as little as you like either via email or the telephone at no extra cost.