In a nutshell
The Diploma of Early Childhood Education and Care (CHC50113) from Foundation Education, equips you to design a project plan, administer, monitor, finalise and review projects, establish and maintain a safe and healthy environment for children and determine individual and team development needs to facilitate the development of individuals and groups.
You also learn how to identify and respond to children and young people at risk, develop positive and respectful relationships with children, provide care of babies, toddlers and children, implement strategies for the inclusion of all children, nurture creativity in children and use an approved learning framework to guide practice. In addition, you’ll gain the skills and knowledge to facilitate compliance in an education and care service and design and implement the curriculum to foster children’s learning and development.
Upon graduation, you will be qualified to work as an Early Childhood Educator or Child Care Assistant. This is the highest qualification required for a Director or Service Manager-level role in a children’s care centre, so you will also be qualified to work as Child Care Centre Director.
This course also requires a minimum of 240 hours of work placement in a registered childcare facility, supervised by a qualified staff member able to sign off on practical demonstration elements. You will also need to complete a First Aid Certificate to demonstrate competency for HLTAID004 Provide an emergency first aid response in an education and care setting at your own cost prior to undertaking your work placement.
What you’ll need
You will need to have completed year 12, or equivalent. Equivalency can be demonstrated by one of the following:
- A qualification at Certificate II level or higher OR
- 2 years of industry experience in a role that requires the use of written documentation and communication.
You will need to be at least 16 years old. If you are under 18 your enrolment form will need to be signed by a parent or guardian.
You will need to be a permanent Australian resident or equivalent.
In order to complete the on-line part of the course you will need regular access to the following:
- Computer: Laptop or desktop computer with working speakers or headphone points
- Internet: High speed internet such as Broadband or ADSL, T1/T2, fibre optic or cable (Dial-up access will be significantly slower and is not recommended)
- Windows : Operating system – Windows XP or Vista 7 or above. Internet Browser – Internet Explorer 7 or higher or the latest version of Google Chrome
- MAC : Operating system: OS X 10.4 or later. Internet Browser – latest version of Google Chrome
- Software: Flash, Adobe Reader, Microsoft Word (or Open Office which is free to download)
In this education course, the subjects you may study include:
- BSBWOR501 - Manage personal work priorities and professional development
- BSBPMG522 - Undertake project work
- BSBINN502 - Build and sustain an innovative work environment
- BSBLED401 - Develop teams and individuals
- BSBRSK501 - Manage risk
- HLTWHS003 - Maintain work health and safety
- CHCECE002 - Ensure the health and safety of children
- CHCECE016 - Establish and maintain a safe and healthy environment for children
- CHCPRT001 - Identify and respond to children and young people at risk
- CHCECE022 - Promote children’s agency
- CHCECE007 - Develop positive and respectful relationships with children
- CHCECE020 - Establish and implement plans for developing cooperative behaviour
- CHCECE003 - Provide care for children
- CHCECE005 - Provide care for babies and toddlers
- CHCECE004 - Promote and provide healthy food and drinks
- CHCECE021 - Implement strategies for the inclusion of all children
- CHCECE023 - Analyse information to inform learning
- CHCECE001 - Develop cultural competence
- CHCDIV002 - Promote Aboriginal and/or Torres Strait Islander cultural safety
- CHCECE017 - Foster the holistic development and wellbeing of the child in early childhood
- CHCECE018 - Nurture creativity in children
- CHCECE025 - Embed sustainable practices in service operations
- CHCECE009 - Use an approved learning framework to guide practice
- CHCECE019 - Facilitate compliance in an education and care service
- CHCLEG001 - Work legally and ethically
- CHCECE024 - Design and implement the curriculum to foster children's learning and development
- CHCECE026 - Work in partnership with families to provide appropriate education and care for children
- * HLTAID004 - Provide an emergency first aid response in an education and care setting
* Please note that unit HLTAID003 – Provide first aid must be completed through an external provider.
Why Foundation Education?
Foundation Education is one of the few Registered Training Organisations (RTO) in Australia who endeavour to deliver flexible online training solutions designed to fit our students’ lifestyle. Since 1999, we’ve been focused on providing excellence in Vocational Education and Training and building partnership networks that drive the quality of graduates across each industry, with our partner RTO, the Australian Institute of Personal Trainers (AIPT). With more than 30 nationally recognised certificate and diploma level courses on offer, the Foundation Education difference means:
- Flexible Online Study – Courses that don’t require a practical placement are delivered 100% online so you can study whenever and wherever suits you. This also gives you the flexibility to choose your course length – whether that be the full term of your course or completing your study in as little as six months.
- Dedicated Student Support – Our industry experienced Subject Advisors, Assessors and Support Officers will support you from enrolment through to graduation. You can use them as often or as little as you like either via email or the telephone.
- Industry Relevant Courses – Course material is developed in consultation with industry experts to equip you with the job-ready skills and up-to-date knowledge required to support your career goals.
Foundation Education provides a dedicated student support team throughout your studies. Whether it is access to experienced Subject Advisors, Assessors or general Support Officers, we will support you from enrolment right through to graduation. You can use our team as often or as little as you like either via email or the telephone at no extra cost.