In a nutshell
This is a specialised aged care course that aims to equip individuals with the necessary skills to provide assistance to vulnerable individuals. As a Cert 3 individual support worker, it is important to have a strong sense of compassion and empathy, along with effective communication skills that enable you to connect with those under your care.
MCFE’s CHC33021 Certificate III Individual Support was once known as the Certificate III in Aged Care. This course is designed to provide comprehensive training that ensures graduates are well-prepared to meet the challenges of the aged care sector and excel in their roles as caregivers.
The course also features 120 hours of practical work placement in an approved aged care facility, where students will have opportunities to gain practical experience and confidence required to hit the ground running in your new aged care role.
This course is covered by the Victorian Government’s Skills First Funding Program and eligible students will be able to study this course with low fees. Please enquire to see if you qualify for government funding.
What you’ll need
While there are no formal educational requirements to enrol in this course, the following must be met:
- Language literacy and numeracy: AQF Level 2 minimum;
- Digital literacy: access to a computer or smart device and the internet to complete your studies;
- Availability: weekly classes, ability to undertake 120 hours placement in an Aged Care Facility.
While completing the CHC33021 Certificate III in Individual Support qualification from Melbourne College of Further Education (MCFE), you may study the following subjects:
- CHCLEG001 - Work legally and ethically
- CHCCOM005 - Communicate and work in health and community services
- CHCAGE013 - Work effectively in aged care
- CHCDIS020 - Work effectively in disability support
- HLTINF006 - Apply basic principles and practices of infection prevention and control
- HLTWHS002 - Follow safe work practices for direct client care
- CHCDIV001 - Work with diverse people
- CHCCCS038 - Facilitate the empowerment of people receiving support
- CHCCCS031 - Provide individualised support
- CHCAGE005 - Provide support to people living with dementia
- CHCCCS040 - Support independence and wellbeing
- CHCCCS041 - Recognise healthy body systems
- CHCCCS001 - Address the needs of people with chronic disease
- CHCMHS001 - Work with people with mental health issues
- HLTAID011 - Provide first aid
- HLTAID009 - Provide cardiopulmonary resuscitation
Why Melbourne College of Further Education?
Established over 20 years ago, Melbourne College of Further Education (MCFE) is a highly regarded and well-respected government-registered training organisation (RTO). Headquartered in Melbourne, with a range of training sites throughout the city and suburbs, MCFE prides itself on their history of successfully providing quality education and training for thousands of past students.
Whether you’re studying in classroom or online, MCFE offers top-of-the-line facilities, inspiring trainers with plenty of industry experience and excellent student support that will ensure a great experience and optimum chance of success for all students in all their courses.
Melbourne College of Further Education (MCFE) provides comprehensive student support services to help students achieve their academic and personal goals. MCFE has a team of experienced student support staff who are dedicated to helping students overcome any challenges they may face during their studies.
The college provides a range of support services including academic support, career guidance, counselling, and disability services. MCFE also offers a range of resources such as workshops, online resources, and study groups to help students improve their academic performance. The college's commitment to student support ensures that students have access to the resources they need to succeed in their studies and beyond.