In a nutshell
If you are working in the building industry and have an interest in advancing your career and taking on more senior roles, then this CPC40120 Certificate IV in Building and Construction (Building) qualification from Parker Brent could be just what you’re looking for.
This course is aimed at people looking to gain knowledge in residential building and construction, and will teach you crucial industry skills such as how to plan building or construction work, how to apply structural principles and legal requirements to residential and commercial constructions, how to arrange building applications and approvals, how to identify and produce estimated costs for building and construction projects and how to use building science principles to construct energy efficient buildings. By the end of the course you will be equipped with all the knowledge you need to start engaging in more senior building roles such as site supervisor or site manager.
The course is flexible with the pace at which you learn, but it’s a good idea to keep a regular study schedule to make sure you’re moving forward steadily. You’ve got to finish the qualification within a set time – anywhere from 6 months to 2 years. This gives you plenty of time to really get into the material and nail the qualification. Most students are expected to wrap up their studies in about 12 months.
The self-paced version of this course is not covered by government funding.
What you’ll need
All entrants must be a minimum of 18 years of age at the time of enrolment. Students will also be required to have:
- Suitable level of English language, literacy and numeracy skills; and
- A current Construction Induction Card (White Card); and
- Access to a building and construction project worksite; or
- Access to the Parker Brent Simulated Working Environment in Lalor.
While completing the CPC40120 Certificate IV in Building and Construction (Building) qualification from Parker Brent, you will study the following subjects:
Core Units (11 total):
- CPCCBC4001 - Apply building codes and standards to the construction process for Class 1 and 10 Buildings
- CPCCBC4002 - Manage work, health and safety in the building and construction workplace
- CPCCBC4007 - Plan building or construction work
- CPCCBC4021 - Minimise waste on the building and construction site
- CPCCBC4053 - Apply building codes and standards to the construction process for Class 2 to 9, Type C Buildings
- CPCCBC4018 - Apply site surveys and set out procedures to building and construction projects
- CPCCBC4008 - Supervise site communication and administration processes for building and construction projects
- CPCCBC4009 - Apply legal requirements to building and construction projects
- CPCCBC4010 - Apply structural principles to residential and commercial constructions
- CPCCBC4014 - Prepare simple building sketches and drawings
- CPCCBC4012 - Read and interpret plans and specifications
Elective Units (8 total):
- BSBESB407 - Manage finances for new business ventures
- CPCCBC4026 - Arrange building applications and approvals
- BSBPMG422 - Apply project quality management techniques
- CPCCBC4003 - Select, prepare and administer a construction contract
- CPCCBC4004 - Identify and produce estimated costs for building and construction projects
- CPCCBC4005 - Produce labour and material schedules for ordering
- CPCCBC4006 - Select, procure and store construction materials for building and construction projects
- CPCSUS4002 - Use building science principles to construct energy efficient buildings
Why Parker Brent?
Parker Brent is a highly reputable Registered Training Organisation, with over two decades of experience in providing exceptional online Building and Construction studies.
They offer a range of courses, including the Certificate IV in Building and Construction and the Diploma of Building and Construction, to cater to the diverse needs of industry workers and aspiring professionals.
Their courses are delivered by industry experts who bring a wealth of knowledge and experience to the learning process with a goal-oriented education approach, designed to help students achieve their desired outcomes.
Students go to Parker Brent with a variety of aspirations, including becoming builders, building their own homes, changing careers, upgrading their skills, or engaging in property development.
To help students achieve their desired outcomes, Parker Brent offers tailored benefits that
cater to their specific needs.
Aspiring builders can benefit from practice tests that improve knowledge, guidelines on how to apply for a license, and tips from current builders. Owner builders can benefit from the comprehensive checklist that guides them through the process.
For those new to the industry, Parker Brent offers free courses with an overview of the industry and project lifecycle, a glossary to equip them with key terminologies, and a guide to residential construction. Students looking to progress their career can benefit from Parker Brent's tips and interview skills, while those interested in property development can receive a checklist for developing property.
To support students in the digital age, Parker Brent provide free access to a world-class
construction software, 'Wunderbuild'. This software is specifically designed to help students get ready for the changing construction market, giving them a competitive advantage when they enter the workforce.