In a nutshell
The online Graduate Diploma in Data Science at UNSW covers the foundational skills of data science as applied in computer science, economics and mathematics. It also includes programming, statistics and data systems.
You’ll learn these core skills in online courses such as Strategic Decision Making, Statistical Inference, Data Visualisation and Communication, Multivariate Analysis and Big Data Management.
The fast-tracked model means you can graduate with a diploma in as little as 16 months, plus it gives you a pathway to study the Master of Data Science.
What you’ll need
To do this course, you'll need:
- A recognised bachelor’s degree (or equivalent qualification) in a non-cognate discipline AND have sufficient Data Science background as indicated by an average of 65 or above across three Level III courses in Mathematics and/or Statistics and/or Computer Science and/or Econometrics; OR
- A recognised bachelor’s degree (or equivalent qualification) in a non-cognate discipline AND have sufficient Data Science background as indicated by at least five years of experience in a data science or data analytics role; AND
- To be proficient in the English language.
Entry via nested qualification
- If you have completed a Graduate Certificate in Data Science with a WAM of 65% or higher as per the UNSW Admissions entry calculator, you can progress to the Graduate Diploma in Data Science.
The Graduate Diploma in Data Science comprises eight online subjects. Completing these courses will provide you with a comprehensive understanding of Data Science, and the practices crucial to decision-making techniques and good data storytelling.
Core subjects (six total):
- Principles of Programming
- Foundations of Data Science
- Statistical Inference for Data Scientists
- Data Mining and Machine Learning
- Regression Analysis for Data Scientists
- One of: Strategic Decision Making or Database Systems
Elective subjects (choose two provided the prerequisites are met and subjects are available):
- Big Data Management
- Data Visualisation and Communication
- Multivariate Analysis for Data Scientists
- Neural Networks, Deep Learning
- Bayesian Inference and Computation
- Decision Making in Analytics
- Data and Ethics
- Strategic Decision Making (if not chosen as core subject)
- Database Systems (if not chosen as core subject)
Should you choose to pursue Master of Data Science upon the successful completion of your Graduate Diploma, the following prerequisites must be considered:
- Principles of Programming is a prerequisite for Data Mining & Machine Learning, Neural Networks, Deep Learning & Big Data Management.
- Foundations of Data Science is a prerequisite for Regression Analysis for Data Scientists, Data Visualisation and Communication & Multivariate Analysis for Data Scientists.
- Statistical Inference for Data Scientists is a prerequisite for Regression Analysis for Data Scientists & Multivariate Analysis for Data Scientists.
Why UNSW Online?
Study 100% Online with UNSW. A World Leader.
UNSW is a globally recognised leader in education, with a focus on industry applicable programs. When you study online with UNSW, you can expect to learn from world-class academics and collaborate with ambitious, like-minded individuals.
Study at Australia’s Global University. Anywhere, anytime.
Studying online at UNSW means that you have the flexibility to shape your studies to fit your life and career goals. The programs have been designed with busy working professionals in mind so you can study one course at a time, 100% online & accelerated, whilst working
Designed by Industry for Industry.
The UNSW online programs have been developed in close consultation with industry experts equipping you with applicable and career-related skills. UNSW is ranked in the top 3 universities in Australia for graduate employability, and is 27th in the world (QS University World Rankings by Graduate Employability, 2020) with each program offering advanced disciplinary depth, giving you access to the latest thinking and current research.
Student Admissions Advisors:
Investing in the right program for you is important to us and we’re here to help you every step of the way. Our Student Enrolment Advisors are available to assist you with all your program and enrolment queries.
Student Success Advisors:
Studying online does not mean studying alone. We are here to help you make your difference. Throughout your study journey, you will be able to turn to your Student Success Advisor (SSA), who is committed to assisting you at every stage, from enrolment through to graduation. Your SSA is on hand to help with all non-academic queries by phone or email.