In a nutshell
Establish yourself as an expert in data science and be part of a growing in-demand field when you study the online Master of Data Science at UNSW.
The skills you develop in this program are broad and deep and apply across all fields and industries. Cover advanced statistics and machine learning, programming and database systems, plus strategic decision making and more. This course explores more ways to organise, identify, analyse and ultimately use data to inform strategies, redefine ambiguous questions and find answers that make a genuine impact.
Created and led by academics who are at the forefront of the industry, you can ensure that your online learning experience will be of the highest standard.
Designed with the busy individual in mind, this 100% online course allows you to learn each subject in seven week blocks, allowing you to accelerate your study and graduate in two years.
Pursue a career that’s dynamic and rewarding, starting with the Master of Data Science. Enquire today!
What you’ll need
To be eligible to study this course, applicants must meet the following entry requirements:
- Completed an undergraduate degree in Data Science or cognate discipline (e.g., Computer Science, Economics, Mathematics, Statistics); AND
- Have sufficient Data Science background as indicated by an average mark of 70 or above across three Level III courses in Mathematics and/or Statistics and/or Computer Science and/or Econometrics; AND
- Be proficient in the English language.
Entry via nested qualification
- For those who do not qualify for direct entry into the master’s program, you may be eligible for entry into the Graduate Diploma in Data Science. Generally, if you successfully complete the Graduate Diploma with a WAM of 65 or above, you can progress to the Masters.
In this data science course, the subjects you may study include:
- Principles of Programming
- Foundations of Data Science
- Statistical Inference
- Data Mining and Machine Learning^
- Regression Analysis#+
- Capstone Data Science Project
Six electives from the following courses (one of which must be from the * course):
- Big Data Management*^
- Data Visualisation and Communication*#
- Multivariate Analysis for Data Scientists*#+
- Neural Networks, Deep Learning^
- Bayesian Inference and Computation Decision Making in Analytics#
- Data and Ethics
- Strategic Decision Making
- Database Systems
^Prerequisite: Principles of Programming. #Pre-requisite: Foundations of Data Science. +Prerequisite: Statistical Inference for Data Scientists.
Why UNSW Online?
Study 100% Online with UNSW. A World Leader.
UNSW is a globally recognised leader in education, with a focus on industry applicable programs. When you study online with UNSW, you can expect to learn from world-class academics and collaborate with ambitious, like-minded individuals.
Study at Australia’s Global University. Anywhere, anytime.
Studying online at UNSW means that you have the flexibility to shape your studies to fit your life and career goals. The programs have been designed with busy working professionals in mind so you can study one course at a time, 100% online & accelerated, whilst working full-time.
Designed by Industry for Industry.
The UNSW online programs have been developed in close consultation with industry experts equipping you with applicable and career-related skills. UNSW is ranked in the top 3 universities in Australia for graduate employability, and is 27th in the world (QS University World Rankings by Graduate Employability, 2020) with each program offering advanced disciplinary depth, giving you access to the latest thinking and current research.
Student Admissions Advisors:
Investing in the right program for you is important to us and we’re here to help you every step of the way. Our Student Enrolment Advisors are available to assist you with all your program and enrolment queries.
Student Success Advisors:
Studying online does not mean studying alone. We are here to help you make your difference. Throughout your study journey, you will be able to turn to your Student Success Advisor (SSA), who is committed to assisting you at every stage, from enrolment through to graduation. Your SSA is on hand to help with all non-academic queries by phone or email.