What does Counsellor mean?
Counsellors provide a safe, confidential environment and offer support for people experiencing mental or emotional distress, helping them to identify, confront and work through their issues. Their efforts may concentrate on a particular emotional problem, such as anxiety, depression or bereavement, or on a more situational dilemma like a crisis, conflict or major life decision.
A Counsellor may specialise in specific disciplines, such as anger management, marriage counselling, career advice or rehabilitation, and can also assist clients by advising them of other resources and programs that are available.
The responsibility of a Counsellor is not to direct their clients towards a specific choice or action but to empower them to better utilise their existing skills and resources in order to overcome life’s challenges. Using conversational therapy and other techniques, a Counsellor enables people to examine various facets of their life, behaviours and relationships from a more objective position, allowing them to see things in a way they may not have considered before.
What is a Counsellor's role?
- Creating a safe, supportive and confidential environment.
- Meeting with clients to identify and discuss their mental, emotional or social needs and problems.
- Helping clients to define and assess goals, and adopt and maintain strategies to deal with various issues.
- Offering support and assisting clients in dealing with and overcoming problems.
- Facilitating group counselling and mediating conflict resolution.
- Providing information and advice on relevant available resources and programs.
- Liaising with other healthcare professionals, such as doctors and specialists, and referring clients when applicable.
Fast Facts - Counsellor
- Average Age: 46
- Male Share: 21.20%
- Full-Time Share: 54.00%
- Average Hours: 37.1 hours per week
- Level of Study: A Bachelor Degree or higher
- Average Salary: $1,330 per week Before Tax
- Unemployment Levels: below average
- 2015 Employment Numbers: 20,700
- Projected Growth: very strong
- 2020 Employment Numbers: 25,500