What does a joiner do?
- Plans material specifications based on architectural drawings
- Cut and assemble materials
- Erect frameworks such as roof framing, sub-flooring and floorboards
- Repair existing fittings such as doorways, window frames and staircases
- Consult with project managers and clients
What skills do I need to be a joiner?
- Pragmatic and methodical
- Familiarity with appropriate building equipment
- Good communication skills
- Physically fit
- Be able to read technical drawings and follow specifications
Having a career in joinery under your belt is extremely beneficial for future job prospects in the building and construction industry. Joiners can seek further work as a vocational education and training (VET) lecturer, a quantity surveyor and thanks to their knowledge of materials, an inventory and supply officer.