In a nutshell
The HLT45021 Certificate IV in Dental Assisting (Dental Radiography), will provide you with the essential skills and knowledge you need to become a Dental Radiographer and assist Dentists undertaking dental procedures. You will learn specialist radiation biology and protection skills to take clinical photographs and prepare and produce a prescribed dental radiographic image, as well as being able to interpret and apply medical terminology. You will graduate with job ready skills that will allow you to work in a range of sectors, including dental, oral surgery, orthodontics and community health clinics.
Dental Assistants are imperative to all aspects of a dental practice, as they ensure that high standards of quality patient care are met. If you’re looking for flexible working hours, Dental Assisting is a great option, as many practices offer casual and part-time work.
There are no mandatory workplace hours to complete this qualification. However, students must have access to a dental practice, equipment for sterilisation, imaging equipment and a qualified supervisor i.e. a person who holds Certificate IV in Dental Assisting or a higher relevant qualification to complete their course.
What you’ll need
Entry to this qualification is open to individuals who have achieved:
• HLT31812 Certificate III in Dental Assisting or
• HLT35015 Certificate III in Dental Assisting or
• HLT35021 Certificate III in Dental Assisting or equivalent.
Students under the age of 18 years require the signed consent of a parent or guardian to enrol in this qualification.
Work Placement Requirements
There are no mandatory workplace hours to complete this qualification. However, Students must have access to a dental practice, equipment for sterilisation, imaging equipment and a qualified supervisor i.e. a person who holds Certificate IV in Dental Assisting or a higher relevant qualification to complete their course
You will need to be a permanent Australian resident or equivalent.
In order to complete the on-line part of the course you will need regular access to the following:
Computer: Laptop or desktop computer with working speakers or headphone points
Internet: High speed internet such as Broadband or ADSL, T1/T2, fibre optic
Windows : Operating system – Windows 8 or above
Internet Browser – Google Chrome, Firefox or Microsoft Internet Explorer 11
MAC : Operating system - OS X 10.14 Mojave or later
Software: PDF Reader, Microsoft Word (or Open Office which is free to download)
In this dental assisting course, the subjects you may study include:
- HLTSTE003 - Sterilise loads
- HLTWHS003 - Maintain work health and safety
- BSBMED301 - Interpret and apply medical terminology appropriately
- HLTDEN0027 - Take a clinical photograph
- HLTDEN021 - Apply the principles of radiation biology and protection in dental practice
- HLTDEN022 - Prepare to expose a prescribed dental radiographic image
- HLTDEN023 - Produce a prescribed dental radiographic image
- HLTDET001 - Construct models
Why Foundation Education?
Foundation Education is one of the few Registered Training Organisations (RTO) in Australia who endeavour to deliver flexible online training solutions designed to fit our students’ lifestyle. Since 1999, we’ve been focused on providing excellence in Vocational Education and Training and building partnership networks that drive the quality of graduates across each industry, with our partner RTO, the Australian Institute of Personal Trainers (AIPT). With more than 30 nationally recognised certificate and diploma level courses on offer, the Foundation Education difference means:
- Flexible Online Study – Courses that don’t require a practical placement are delivered 100% online so you can study whenever and wherever suits you. This also gives you the flexibility to choose your course length – whether that be the full term of your course or completing your study in as little as six months.
- Dedicated Student Support – Our industry experienced Subject Advisors, Assessors and Support Officers will support you from enrolment through to graduation. You can use them as often or as little as you like either via email or the telephone.
- Industry Relevant Courses – Course material is developed in consultation with industry experts to equip you with the job-ready skills and up-to-date knowledge required to support your career goals.
Foundation Education RTO# 22557
Foundation Education provides a dedicated student support team throughout your studies. Whether it is access to experienced Subject Advisors, Assessors or general Support Officers, we will support you from enrolment right through to graduation. You can use our team as often or as little as you like either via email or the telephone at no extra cost.