In a nutshell
The Certificate IV in Dental Assisting – Radiography Specialisation, will provide you with the essential skills and knowledge you need to assist Dentists undertaking radiography procedures. You will learn specialist radiation biology and protection skills to prepare and produce a prescribed dental radiographic image. In addition to this, you’ll be able to maintain high standards of infection control and effectively assist with practice administration. You will graduate with job ready skills that will allow you to work in a range of sectors, including dental, oral surgery, orthodontics and community health clinics.
Dental Assistants are imperative to all aspects of a dental practice, as they ensure that high standards of quality patient care are met. If you’re looking for flexible working hours, Dental Assisting is a great option, as many practices offer casual and part-time work.
This course also requires a minimum of 300 hours of work placement in a dental clinic and a suitable supervisor able to sign off on the practical demonstration elements.
What you’ll need
Whilst there are no formal entry requirements mandated by the training package, students’ skills and capabilities to undertake this training product will be assessed and advice on suitability will be provided during the pre-enrolment process.
Students under the age of 18 years require the signed consent of a parent or guardian to enrol in this qualification.
Work Placement Requirements
For mandatory work placement (300 hours, including an initial 50 hours completed in simulation), students must have access to a dental practice and a qualified supervisor i.e. a person who holds Certificate IV in Dental Assisting or higher relevant qualification. Students may need to undertake a Working with Children check to meet individual work placement employer requirements.
You will need to be a permanent Australian resident or equivalent.
In order to complete the on-line part of the course you will need regular access to the following:
- Computer: Laptop or desktop computer with working speakers or headphone points.
- Internet: High speed internet such as Broadband or ADSL, T1/T2, fibre optic or cable (Dial-up access will be significantly slower and is not recommended)
- Windows : Operating system – Windows XP or Vista 7 or above. Internet Browser – Internet Explorer 7 or higher or the latest version of Google Chrome
- MAC : Operating system: OS X 10.4 or later. Internet Browser – latest version of Google Chrome
- Software: Flash, Adobe Reader, Microsoft Word (or Open Office which is free to download)
In this dental assisting course, the subjects you may study include:
- CHCCOM005 - Communicate and work in health or community services
- BSBCUS401 - Coordinate implementation of customer service strategies
- CHCDIV001 - Work with diverse people
- HLTDEN003 - Assist with administration in dental practice
- HLTWHS003 - Maintain work health and safety
- HLTDEN001 - Prepare for and assist with oral health care procedures
- HLTINF001 - Comply with infection prevention and control policies and procedures
- HLTINF003 - Implement and monitor infection prevention and control policies and procedures
- HLTINF002 - Process reusable medical devices and equipment
- HLTDEN002 - Assist with dental radiography
- HLTDEN007 - Apply the principles of radiation biology and protection in dental practice
- HLTDEN008 - Prepare to expose a prescribed dental radiographic image
- HLTDEN009 - Produce a prescribed dental radiographic image
- *HLTAID003 - Provide first aid
*This course contains a core unit, HLTAID003 Provide first aid, which must be completed through an external RTO. Foundation Education has an agreement in place with Red Cross Australia (RTOID 3605) which allows students to receive training for this unit at a reduced price. Red Cross Australia is a third party training provider who conduct training and assessment services on behalf of Foundation Education.
Why Foundation Education?
Foundation Education is one of the few Registered Training Organisations (RTO) in Australia who endeavour to deliver flexible online training solutions designed to fit our students’ lifestyle. Since 1999, we’ve been focused on providing excellence in Vocational Education and Training and building partnership networks that drive the quality of graduates across each industry, with our partner RTO, the Australian Institute of Personal Trainers (AIPT). With more than 30 nationally recognised certificate and diploma level courses on offer, the Foundation Education difference means:
- Flexible Online Study – Courses that don’t require a practical placement are delivered 100% online so you can study whenever and wherever suits you. This also gives you the flexibility to choose your course length – whether that be the full term of your course or completing your study in as little as six months.
- Dedicated Student Support – Our industry experienced Subject Advisors, Assessors and Support Officers will support you from enrolment through to graduation. You can use them as often or as little as you like either via email or the telephone.
- Industry Relevant Courses – Course material is developed in consultation with industry experts to equip you with the job-ready skills and up-to-date knowledge required to support your career goals.
Foundation Education provides a dedicated student support team throughout your studies. Whether it is access to experienced Subject Advisors, Assessors or general Support Officers, we will support you from enrolment right through to graduation. You can use our team as often or as little as you like either via email or the telephone at no extra cost.