In a nutshell
Designed specifically for educators, our Online Graduate Certificate in Mental Health for Education can teach you how to make a positive impact on the mental health of students as well as how to manage mental health within the school system.
Throughout our Certificate’s four subjects, you will explore topics in school responsiveness, trauma theory, experiences and perceptions of mental illness and therapeutic skills for mental health.
Develop and understanding of:
- Communication strategies: learn how to effectively and sensitively work with students and colleagues in accordance with professional ethical standards.
- Person-centred care: practice and advocate professionally and independently as a team member in mental health settings to drive improved student outcomes.
- Trauma informed education: examine principles that underpin trauma and how those principles may inform pedagogy and learning for students who have experienced trauma.
- Evidence-based plans: develop plans to support therapeutic relationships with students, families, and carers that are characterized by co-constructive care and collaborative engagement.
- Causes and prevalence: critically analyse wellness issues for students and assess how they may influence learning including trauma, anxiety, depression and bullying.
This is a nested qualification within the Master of Education. When you complete this online course, you can continue with advanced standing.
What you’ll need
To do this course, you must have successfully completed an Australian Bachelor's degree (or equivalent), showing transcripts from all prior universities,
Subjects you'll study in this course are:
- MMHTHK - Therapeutic Skills
- MMH4EPM - Experiences and Perceptions of Mental Illness
- EDU5SAW - Schools and Well-Being
- EDU5TTP - Trauma Theory and Practice
Why La Trobe University?
For over 50 years, La Trobe University has been transforming people and societies. Ranked in the top 1% of Universities worldwide by 2021 Times Higher Education World University Rankings and ranked as one of the best 50 universities across East Asia, South-east Asia and Oceania. La Trobe has a proud history of world-class teaching and academic research.
Throughout your studies with La Trobe you’ll see firsthand how to champion local communities, tackle the big issues of our time and work to the highest standards. As you step forward in your career, you’re able to set a new standard of excellence.
The online study experience:
At La Trobe University, online courses are designed to be flexible for the working professional. Taught by experts in their field, our courses will show you how to adapt to new situations, connect with others and take the lead.
Developed for busy professionals with personal commitments, our online courses help you take your career and leadership abilities to the next level.
Online courses feature the same course structure and opportunities that our on-campus students experience, so you’re sure to enjoy a quality education and one-on-one support. You’ll have 24/7 technology assistance, so you truly can learn when and where it’s best for you.