In a nutshell
Working with seniors to improve and support their wellbeing, mobility and independence is your chance to make a real difference in someone’s life.
The Certificate IV in Ageing Support (CHC43015) and Certificate IV in Leisure and Health (CHC43415) from Nepean Industry Edge Training is a dual qualification that sets you up with two highly regarded qualifications in the aged care industry.
Physical activity is vital for quality of life and wellbeing for seniors. In the Certificate IV in Leisure and Health (CHC43415) you’ll learn the interpersonal and planning skills needed to design programs, run activities and use lifestyle and leisure opportunities for seniors.
The Certificate IV in Ageing Support (CHC43015) covers topics including coordination of aged care services to legal and ethical compliance to equip you with the skills for caregiver roles in both community and home environments.
Both courses include hands-on experience with up to 240 hours of practical placement, so you’ll graduate with the knowledge and skills of what it will take to have a rewarding career in the booming sector of aged care. There is no online-only version of this course.
Please note, students may choose to enrol in one course and graduate with a single qualification.
Government funding available: this course is subsidised through Victorian Government’s Skills First program, and eligible students can have a large portion of their fees covered through the program. Please enquire to see if you qualify.
What you’ll need
There are no formal prerequisites to study this course at NIET but there are some requirements you should know about:
- You must be an Australian citizen or permanent resident currently residing in Victoria;
- If you're doing this course part-time, you must commit to at least 8 hours of study per week;
- If you're doing this course full-time, you must commit to at least 16 hours of study per week;
- This course does not require a computer and is not conducted online.
In this course, the subjects you may study include:
- CHCAGE001 - Facilitate the empowerment of older people
- CHCAGE005 - Provide support to people living with dementia
- CHCCCS023 - Support independence and wellbeing
- CHCCCS025 - Support relationships with carers and families
- CHCDIV001 - Work with diverse people
- CHCPAL001 - Deliver care services using a palliative approach
- HLTWHS002 - Follow safe work practices for direct client care
- CHCCOM002 - Use communication to build relationships
- HLTAAP002 - Confirm physical health status
- HLTAID003 - Provide first aid (additional unit given to students)
- HLTFSE001 - Follow basic food safety practices
- CHCADV001 - Facilitate the interests and rights of clients
- CHCAGE003 - Coordinate services for older people
- CHCAGE004 - Implement interventions with older people at risk
- CHCCCS006 - Facilitate individual service planning and delivery
- CHCCCS011 - Meet personal support needs
- CHCLEG003 - Manage legal and ethical compliance
- CHCPRP001 - Develop and maintain networks and collaborative partnerships
- HLTAAP001 - Recognise healthy body systems
Leisure and Health
- CHCLAH001 - Work effectively in the leisure and health industries
- CHCLAH002 - Contribute to leisure and health programming
- CHCLAH003 - Participate in planning, implementation and monitoring of individual leisure and health programs
- CHCLAH004 - Participate in planning leisure and health programs for clients with complex needs
- CHCLAH005 - Incorporate lifespan development and sociological concepts into leisure and health programming
- CHCPRP003 - Reflect on and improve own professional practice
- CHCCCS015 - Provide individualised support
Why Nepean Industry Edge Training?
Want to give back to your community with your career? Study a course in Ageing Support, Disability, Celebrancy, Early Childhood Education or more with Nepean Industry Edge Training (NIET) and get the right skills to accelerate your career and help do good for others.
Study on-campus with NIET and learn from trainers who have years of experience in their field and who understand what the workplace is looking for. Graduate from NIET armed with job-ready skills, the latest in industry information and a qualification that is nationally recognised.
With a mantra to Engage. Inspire. Motivate, you can trust Nepean Industry Edge Training to create a quality, memorable and positive learning experience with support from their team every step of the way.
From start to finish you’ll be guided by the dedicated team at NIET, including your very own Student Support Coordinator who will even assist you in finding practical work placement during your studies.
This course can be delivered on campus to provide you with practical training in a face-to-face learning environment. It is available to study at the following locations: