In a nutshell
Would you like to build a rewarding career assisting occupational therapists to improve the wellbeing of patients? Then the Certificate IV in Allied Health Assistance (Occupational Therapy) (HLT43015) from Foundation Education could be for you.
Occupational therapy assistants play a key role in one of the most rewarding professional pursuits: helping patients live fulfilling and enjoyable lives. In this role, you will aid occupational therapists as they devise programs to help their patients participate fully in life – from working and volunteering to self-care and pursuing their personal interests.
This online course ensures you have the real-world skills and theoretical understanding to thrive in a career as an occupational therapy assistant. You will complete 120 hours of practical work placement alongside online theory (study anytime from anywhere). This combination of hands-on experience and knowledge-based learning will equip you to step confidently into your first job as an occupational therapy assistant.
Please note: This is a fee-for-service program.
What you’ll need
Whilst there are no formal entry requirements mandated by the training package, students’ skills and capabilities to undertake this training product will be assessed and advice on suitability will be provided during the pre-enrolment process.
Students under the age of 18 years require the signed consent of a parent or guardian to enrol in this qualification.
Work Placement Requirements
120 hours of work placement. Students may need to undertake a Working with Children check to meet individual work placement employer requirements.
You will need to be a permanent Australian resident or equivalent.
In order to complete the on-line part of the course you will need regular access to the following a reliable computer and internet connection.
In this occupational therapy course, the units of competency you may study include:
- HLTAAP001 - Recognise healthy body systems
- HLTAAP002 - Confirm physical health status
- CHCDIV001 - Work with diverse people
- CHCCOM005 - Communicate and work in health or community services
- CHCLEG003 - Manage legal and ethical compliance
- BSBMED301 - Interpret and apply medical terminology appropriately
- HLTWHS002 - Follow safe work practices for direct client care
- HLTAHA010 - Assist with the development and maintenance of client functional status
- HLTAHA016 - Support the fitting of assistive equipment
- HLTAHA001 - Assist with an allied health program
- BSBWOR204 - Use business technology
- BSBINM301 - Organise workplace information
- HLTINF007 - Implement and monitor infection prevention and control standards, policies and procedures
- HLTINF006 - Apply basic principles and practices of infection prevention and control
- HLTAID011* - Provide First Aid
- HLTAID009* - Perform Cardiopulmonary Resuscitation
*This course contains the units, HLTAID011 Provide First Aid and HLTAID009 Perform cardiopulmonary resuscitation, which must be completed through an external RTO. Foundation Education has an agreement in place with Red Cross Australia (RTOID 3605) which allows students to receive training for these units at a reduced price. Please note that the cost of this external training is not included in any of your course fees. Upon completion, you will need to submit a copy of your first aid and CPR certificate in order for us to process a Credit Transfer against these units on your student record. If you have chosen your own third-party provider, you must submit a certified copy of your certificate. If you have undertaken training with Red Cross Australia, you must forward Foundation Education the email you receive which contains the electronic copy of your certificate.
Why Foundation Education?
Foundation Education provides students with access to quality vocational education and employment opportunities alongside their sister brand, the Australian Institute of Personal Trainers (AIPT), and a robust network of industry partners all around Australia.
With courses designed by industry experts, you'll gain the knowledge and experience to graduate with the job-ready skills employers seek. Plus, you can learn at your pace and place with flexible study options.
Whether you're interested in a career as a Dental Assistant, Teacher Aide, Office Manager, Physiotherapy Assistant, or something else, Foundation Education has a vocational study option to take you where you want to go.
The Foundation Education difference means:
- Flexible Online Study – The theoretical component of the courses can be completed online at your own pace.
- Dedicated Student Support – Industry-experienced Subject Advisors, Assessors and Support Officers will support you from enrolment through to graduation.
- Industry Relevant Courses – Course material is developed in consultation with industry experts to provide you with comprehensive skills and knowledge required to graduate job-ready.
- National Recognised Training - Every Certificate and Diploma offered is nationally recognised and accredited, meeting established industry needs and national quality assurance requirements.
Foundation Education RTO 22557