About this course
For all support workers and care staff, or those aspiring to become one, this course will equip you with specialised knowledge in dealing with alcohol and other drug related problems.
Study the online Certificate IV in Alcohol and Other Drugs through Open Colleges and gain the transferable skills to work across a range of community services settings, including the mental health and youth work sectors.
Learn how to provide case management services, withdrawing and intervention activities and deal with mental health issues. With a focus on outreach work and community work, this course will teach you the skills to deal with clients facing drug related health issues who are attempting to get their lives back on track.
This certificate includes a mandatory work placement of at least 140 hours, in order to acquire essential practical skills. You will be required to source your own placement with an organisation involved in the delivery of alcohol and other drug related community services. This course is delivered by Open Colleges, RTO Code: 90796
There are no entry requirements for this course; anyone can apply.
In this alcohol and other drugs course, the subjects you will study include:
- Work effectively in the alcohol and other drugs sector
- Work effectively with culturally diverse clients and co-workers
- Work within a legal and ethical framework
- Work effectively in mental health settings
- Work with clients who are intoxicated
- Engage and resource clients to improve their interpersonal relationships
- Use targeted communication skills to build relationships
- Follow WHS safety procedures for direct care work
- Apply first aid
- Provide needle and syringe services
- Assess needs of clients with alcohol and/or other drugs issues
- Provide interventions for people with alcohol and/or other drug issues
- Undertake outreach work
- Provide alcohol and/or other drug withdrawal services
- Undertake case management for clients with complex needs
- Support positive lifestyle
Why Open Colleges?
Open Colleges is one of the largest private education providers in Australia. It offers a wide variety of courses, from leisure courses to vocational and higher education courses, many of which are government-accredited and employer-recognised. All courses are delivered by correspondence, allowing you to work at your own pace and around your own schedule. Studying with Open Colleges is perfect for people with busy lifestyles, and those wishing to work and learn for themselves.
As a student of Open Colleges, you will have access to a range of student and administrative support options. Your course trainers are available via email, messaging and through your online course forums in OpenSpace. You will also have access to help with study skills such as time management, essay writing and referencing.