Build an exciting and rewarding new career for yourself by helping others achieve their dreams. It starts by studying a coaching course.
What do coaching graduates do?
Coaches work closely with teams and individuals to provide information and work through issues and barriers to ensure people can meet their goals and achieve success.
After studying a coaching course, you may choose to work in coaching in a number of different industries. You may work as a sports coach, job coach, lifestyle coach or counsellor, but will always work to ensure people have the tools and abilities to reach their goals.
As a coach, you can generally expect to perform tasks like:
- Meeting with people and asking questions to determine their background, environment and emotional and social issues;
- Examining and recording information and assessing a person’s needs and goals;
- Providing information and resources, including career advice, study and employment options, skills training, resources for drug and alcohol abuse, and information about other services;
- Assisting people in understanding and adjusting attitudes, expectations, perspectives and behaviours to develop more effective interpersonal relationships and tools for success;
- Providing, planning and demonstrating activities, exercises and tools;
- Discussing avenues for behaviour change and goal-setting;
- Referring people to workshops, resources and other services;
- Facilitating or administering training for people in order to help them achieve goals;
- Consulting with people to develop rehabilitation plans, taking into account the broader societal context of the person’s environment, and their specific emotional and social needs;
- Providing general information, understanding and advice to people;
- Celebrating and acknowledging success with people; and
- Providing support, advice and counselling when needed.
You’ll enjoy working as a coach if you:
- Are empathetic and humble
- Have excellent communication and interpersonal skills
- Are highly organised
- Are committed to seeing people succeed
- Believe in people’s potential
- Have excellent administrative skills
- Can manage multiple pieces of information at once
- Like solving problems
- Have strong time management skills
- Are patient
- Are disciplined
- Are a creative thinker with big ideas
The coaching industry in Australia is a large and growing profession, according to the Australian Government’s Job Outlook. Currently employing approximately 45,300 people across a range of different sporting areas, the sports coaching sector is likely to grow over the next few years to employ approximately 56,100 people by 2020.
The size of the sports coaching profession indicates roles are available all over Australia.
Similarly, job opportunities in the coaching and counselling sector are increasing. Job Outlook reports that job opportunities in the counselling sector have increased steadily over the last decade, and predicts that this trend will continue until at least 2020. Currently, approximately 20,700 people are employed as counsellors in Australia, and Job Outlook reports this will increase to approximately 25,500 people by 2020.
A job coach can expect to earn an annual salary between $43,000 and $89,000, with an average annual salary of approximately $56,000, according to PayScale. PayScale notes that a positive relationship exists between earning capacity and experience, with more experiences coaches commanding higher salaries; however, entry-level coaches can still expect to earn on average approximately $58,000 per year.
If you choose to work as a counsellor, you can expect to earn between $43,000 and $75,000 per year, with an average annual salary of approximately $66,000, according to PayScale. PayScale notes a moderate positive relationship between experience and earning capacity for the first 10 years of a counsellor’s career, but observes that additional earning capacity flattens out after counsellors have been working for 10 years.
According to the Australian Government’s Job Outlook, a sports coach can expect to earn on average approximately $49,000 per year.