In a nutshell
If you have a passion for fitness are ready to advance your career helping others achieve their fitness and health goals, then this SIS40221 Certificate IV in Fitness qualification from the Australian Institute of Personal Trainers (AIPT) could be the ideal next step for you.
Whether you wish to work as a qualified fitness professional in an established gym or a club, or prefer to run your own personal training business, this qualification will give you all the skills you need to succeed. By studying essential industry aspects such as how to create effective personalised exercise programs, how to assess client movement and provide exercise advice, how to develop strength and conditioning techniques and how to plan and deliver online exercise sessions, you will gain the knowledge and confidence required to become a star personal trainer.
A part of this Australia-wide course is dedicated to teaching you the skills required to set up, market and effectively run your own personal fitness practice which will enable you to set up your own personal training business immediately after graduation.
The course consists of 17 course units which can be completed in 12 months, as well as a 27-hour practical component that can be conducted in a gym with one of AIPT’s mentors or a mentor of your choice.
Please note: This is a fee-for-service program.
What you’ll need
Minimum Age: You need to be at least 16 years old. If you’re under 18, a parent or guardian will need to sign your enrolment form.
Education: You’ll need to have completed year 10 or equivalent (i.e., a qualification at Certificate II level or higher), or have 2 years of industry experience.
Students commencing the SIS40221 Certificate IV in Fitness are required to complete and be deemed competent in the below units of competency, (or superseded units), which are available as part of the SIS30321 Certificate III in Fitness:
- HLTAID011 - Provide First Aid (or a unit that supersedes this unit)
- HLTWHS001 - Participate in workplace health and safety
- SISFFIT032 - Complete pre-exercise screening and service orientation
- SISFFIT033 - Complete client fitness assessments
- SISFFIT035 - Plan group exercise sessions
- SISFFIT036 - Instruct group exercise sessions
- SISFFIT040 - Develop and instruct gym-based exercise programs for individual clients
- SISFFIT047 - Use anatomy and physiology knowledge to support safe and effective exercise
- SISFFIT052 - Provide healthy eating information
Residency Status: You need to be a permanent Australian resident or equivalent.
Practical Assessment: Please be aware some of your assessments require you to source participants to role-play clients, please work with your mentor to secure the required number.
Working with Children Check: For the work placement portion of your course, you may need a current “Working with Children Check Clearance” issued by the relevant authority in your state/territory.
Resources Required: For the online part of the course, you may need regular access to:
Computer: Laptop or desktop computer with working speakers or headphone points.
Internet: High-speed internet such as Broadband or ADSL, T1/T2, fibre optic (Dial-up access is not recommended).
Windows: Operating system – Windows 8 or above.
Mobile Phone with video capability or Video Camera: Some assessments in your course will require you to take and submit videos of you undertaking tasks for assessment.
Office Equipment: Printer and scanner to print and upload some of your assessments.
Internet Browser: Google Chrome, Firefox or Microsoft Internet Explorer 11.
MAC: Operating system – OS X 10.14 Mojave or later.
Software: Flash, Adobe Reader, Microsoft Word (or Open Office which is free to download).
While completing the SIS40221 Certificate IV in Fitness qualification from the Australian Institute of Personal Trainers, you may study the following subjects:
- SISFFIT049 - Use exercise science principles in fitness instruction
- CHCCOM006 - Establish and manage client relationships
- SISFFIT041 - Develop personalised exercise programs
- SISFFIT042 - Instruct personalised exercise sessions
- SISFFIT043 - Develop and instruct personalised exercise programs for body composition goals
- SISFFIT044 - Develop and instruct personalised exercise programs for older clients
- SISFFIT045 - Develop and instruct personalised exercise programs for adolescent clients
- SISFFIT051 - Establish and maintain professional practice for fitness instruction
- SISFFIT050 - Support exercise behaviour change
- SISFFIT053 - Support healthy eating for individual fitness clients
- SISFFIT034 - Assess client movement and provide exercise advice
- SISFFIT046 - Plan and instruct online exercise sessions
- BSBESB401 - Research and develop business plans
- BSBESB404 - Market new business ventures
- SISXCAI010 - Develop strength and conditioning programs
- SISXCAI009 - Instruct strength and conditioning techniques
- CHCDIV001 - Work with diverse people
Why Australian Institute of Personal Trainers?
The Australian Institute of Personal Trainers (AIPT) are experts in wellness, nutrition and fitness, and equip their students with the best in online and face-to-face education. Established in 1999 alongside their partner Registered Training Organisation, Foundation Education, they have grown from a handful of campuses in Queensland to over 150 campuses and an extensive network of Mentors Australia-wide. When you study with AIPT you have access to:
Dedicated student support
Access to a dedicated team of Support Officers to make the transition into study as smooth as possible.
Largest network of locations
We have the industry's largest network of gyms across Australia, ensuring we're in your area.
Flexible delivery options
AIPT caters to all learning styles and offers flexible study options to suit everyone’s schedules and budget, with a focus on practical learning and hands-on experience.
Throughout your studies as an AIPT student, you will have complete access to their expert education team – a group of mentors who are dedicating to answering any of your questions or study queries. Mentors are seasoned fitness professionals with years of experience in the industry and can be contacted via email, online or over the phone. As an AIPT student, you will also have access to the My eCampus learning portal where you will be able to download course content and submit assessments.