In a nutshell
Despite positive changes in society’s view of women’s health in the recent years, we are still far from where we need to be on the issue – 44% of women in Australia can’t afford a doctor when they need one, and this number increases to 70% for women from non-English speaking backgrounds, 62% for women with a disability, 53% for Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander women and 57% for LGBTQIA+ (ref: Jean Hailes, 2022).
The Master of Women’s and Children’s Health from UTS Online, a first qualification of its kind, will allow you to focus on women’s and children’s specific health needs and make a difference where it counts.
This course looks at the unique and individual needs of women and children, including reproductive health, pregnancy, motherhood and menopause, while giving you the knowledge and skills to deliver high-quality, culturally appropriate and accessible care to all Australians.
By absorbing contemporary material that focuses on current issues, you will learn all about current issues in women’s and children’s healthcare globally, how to deal with legal and ethical issues in women’s health, how to manage social healthcare and all about indigenous public health.
By the end of the course you will have developed fundamental health research, policy making and healthcare management skills and knowledge that will allow you to actively take part in improving the women’s and children’s healthcare offering in Australia.
What you’ll need
Applicants must demonstrate one of the following:
- Completed a UTS recognised bachelor’s degree (or equivalent) in midwifery, nursing, allied health or health science field;
- Completion of the Graduate Certificate in Women’s and Children’s Health;
- Completion of the Graduate Certificate in Child and Family Health.
While completing the Master of Women's and Children's Health from UTS Online, you will study 13-15 subjects, depending on total credit point value:
- Contemporary Women’s Health Issues
- The Child in the Contemporary World
- Global Perspectives in Sexual, Reproductive, and Maternal Health
- Legal and Ethical Issues in Women’s Health
- Leading Health and Social Care
- Indigenous Public Health
- Foundations in Public Health
Major subjects (Select a major OR complete 4-5 subjects from the following):
Health research major:
- Fundamentals of Biostatistics
- Fundamentals of Qualitative Research
- Contemporary Approaches to Digital Health
- Research in Health
Note: Elective 096314 Evidence for informing Practice is a prerequisite for this course
- Fundamentals of Epidemiology
Leadership and Management in Health Care major:
- Organisational Management in Health Care
And select 3 from the following:
- Health Systems and Change
- Managing Quality, Risk and Cost in Health Care
- Policy, Power and Politics in Health Care
- Creating a Culture of Teaching and Learning in Healthcare
- Using Health Care Data for Decision Making
- Planning and Evaluating Health Services
Reproductive Health major:
- An introduction to Reproductive Health
- Assisted Reproduction
Note: 090008 An Introduction to Reproductive Health is a prerequisite for this course
- Reproductive and Sexual Health: A Population Health Approach
- Therapeutic Communication in Reproductive Health
Complete 2 subjects from the following:
- Foundations of the Australian Healthcare System
- Evidence for Informing Practice
- Learning and its Trajectories
- Strategic Learning in Workplaces
- Trauma Informed Care in Practice
- Improving Safety and Quality in Healthcare
- Specialty Clinical Practice
Why UTS Online?
Technology is driving change. At UTS Online we use the latest learning technology to help you get ahead and stay ahead in a changing world, faster.
UTS is the top-ranked young university in Australia and ranked 11th globally*.
Our 100% online postgraduate courses give you the opportunity to access our world-class education wherever you are.
Our courses are created by leading industry academics who partner with organisations operating at the edge of progress.
The courses are delivered through an innovative and interactive online platform, designed by experts in online education who understand how to make lessons personal and engaging.
With UTS Online, you’ll develop the skills and knowledge you need for your immediate future as well as the capability to keep adapting as new technologies, new career environments and new social challenges change our world even more.
*QS Top 50 Under 50, 2020
You'll have the support you need to succeed with a dedicated Student Success Advisor who will navigate and motivate you through to graduation day.