1 course found
Build an exciting new career working closely with people by studying a nail technician course.
What do nail technician graduates do?
As a nail technician, you can expect to perform tasks like:
- Consulting with clients to analyse nail characteristics and conditions;
- Advising clients on suitable nail care routines, treatments and beauty applications;
- Performing manicures and pedicures;
- Organising, cleaning and stocking nail therapy products;
- Applying artificial nails and nail art, including nail jewellery and nail painting;
- Performing nail repair and conducting other specialised hand and foot treatments;
- Using electrical equipment to clean, shape, buff and airbrush nails;
- Evaluating nail therapy processes and products;
- Advising clients on nail care;
- Scheduling, receiving and organising appointments and bookings;
- Maintaining client records;
- Conducting client interactions and customer service;
- Researching and maintaining awareness of nail trends and products; and
- Providing advice on and selling nail and other beauty products.
Depending on the nature and scope of your role, you may also perform general administrative tasks relating to the successful management of a nail or beauty salon.
After completing a beauty therapy course, you’ll likely seek employment as a:
You’ll enjoy working as a nail technician if you:
- Thrive when working with people
- Can work well independently
- Are creative
- Have strong time management and organisational skills
- Have excellent communication and interpersonal skills
- Enjoy detailed work
- Can manage multiple priorities at once
- Have excellent customer service skills
- Can pay attention to detail
- Have an interest in beauty and wellness
- Are interest in nail beauty and technology
The Australian Government’s Job Outlook reports that the nail technician profession in Australia is large and growing. Approximately 24,500 people are employed as nail technicians in Australia, and the profession is expected to grow to employ approximately 30,800 people by 2020.
PayScale reports that graduates of nail technician courses can expect to earn a salary between $31,000 and $51,000 per year, with an average industry salary of approximately $44,000 per year. While a positive relationship exists between work experience and earning capacity, PayScale notes that entry-level technicians can skill command competitive salaries, earning approximately $38,000 per year.