In a nutshell
The CPC40120 Certificate IV in Building and Construction (Building) from College for Adult Learning will kickstart your pathway towards becoming a licenced builder by developing your knowledge of key project planning activities, risk management, estimating and contract admin, and legal requirements to apply to small to medium-sized builds. You’ll learn to interpret construction drawings and specifications in conjunction with relevant regulations to ensure structures are compliant.
You will also learn how to:
- Ensure quality, OH&S standards and legal requirements are met to support safe workplace practices;
- Read and interpret construction drawings and specifications to make sure they comply with relevant regulations, codes and standards;
- Estimate materials and labour costs and resources to ensure projects run smoothly;
- Manage and negotiate contracts.
What you’ll need
There are no formal prerequisites for this course, however students are required to:
- Be 18 years or older at time of registration
- Demonstrate competency in English language, literacy and numeracy (LLN) skills.
It is beneficial for students to have some relevant industry experience to assist with the learning application required for this course. This may have been obtained through formal and/or informal training, work experience and life experience.
You'll need regular access to a laptop, desktop computer or another device with the following:
- An adequate camera to undertake video calls for assessments as required
- An adequate and reliable internet connection
- At least the equivalent of Microsoft Office or Office for Mac, with word-processing capabilities and spreadsheets
- A PDF Reader installed
- Full permissions to install and access third-party software as required.
Subjects you'll study include:
- CPCCBC4024 - Resolve business disputes
- BSBESB407 - Manage finances for new business ventures
- BSBPMG422 - Apply project quality management techniques
- CPCCBC4001 - Apply building codes and standards to the construction process for Class 1 and 10 Buildings
- CPCCBC4053 - Apply building codes and standards to the construction process for Class 2 to 9, Type C Buildings
- CPCCBC4004 - Identify and produce estimated costs for building and construction projects
- CPCCBC4005 - Produce labour and material schedules for ordering
- CPCCBC4008 - Supervise site communication and administration processes for building and construction projects
- CPCCBC4003 - Select, prepare and administer a construction contract
- CPCCBC4009 - Apply legal requirements to building and construction projects
- CPCCBC4010 - Apply structural principles to residential and commercial constructions
- CPCCBC4012 - Read and interpret plans and specifications
- CPCCBC4014 - Prepare simple building sketches and drawings
- CPCCBC4018 - Apply site surveys and set-out procedures to building and construction projects
- CPCCBC4021 - Minimise waste on the building and construction site
- CPCCBC4006 - Select, procure and store construction materials for building and construction projects
- CPCSUS4002 - Use building science principles to construct energy efficient buildings
- CPCCBC4002 - Manage work health and safety in the building and construction workplace
- CPCCBC4007 - Plan building or construction work
Why College for Adult Learning?
From building and construction to HR, business management, logistics and more – the College for Adult Learning (CAL) can get you qualified in it all!
The friendly and experienced team at CAL will take the time to understand your existing skills and set you on a learning path that is tailored specifically for you, helping you to achieve your goals faster. All courses are designed in house with one purpose in mind, your success!
Get the right skills, build your confidence and turn theory into practice when you study with The College for Adult Learning.
Feel like you’re truly cared for at the College for Adult Learning! Here, their friendly team will tailor their support services to cater to YOUR needs. Be teamed with a Student Success Advisor who will work closely with you to help get you the best outcomes.
Recent HR graduate Fiona states “I know that if I need support it was available ...the feedback was incredible, very attentive! She spent a lot of time taking me through things that I may have missed.”
When you study with CAL, you’ll be supported by our Real Outcomes Guarantee, ensuring you get real-world results from your studies - not just a piece of paper.
CAL promise to give you all the resources we can to help you achieve your goal, whether that’s to upskill, refocus your career, or get that promotion.