In a nutshell
Gain in-depth knowledge and lifelong learning skills to build your contemporary mental health practice with a Master of Mental Health Nursing at La Trobe University.
Enjoy the convenience of 100 per cent online study as you learn to create and carry out clinical plans from experts in the field. La Trobe’s Master of Mental Health Nursing is developed in collaboration with Allied Health Professions Australia (AHPA) so you’ll build valuable resilience, leadership, effective communication skills that you can use in real world cases.
Across 18 months of study you’ll learn how to make independent clinical judgements, assess clients and develop reasonable clinical plans. You’ll also learn to use critical skills in problem-solving, planning and evaluation, communicate effectively and sensitively with colleagues, people accessing mental health services and the public, plus learn to perform independently or as a team leader in mental health settings.
What you’ll need
To be eligible to study this course, applicants must meet the following entry requirements:
- Successful completion of an Australian bachelor degree (or equivalent);
- Applicants must be a Division 1 Registered Nurse and hold a current practising certificate with the Australian Health Practitioner Regulation Agency (AHPRA);
- The University will access your official transcript upon application.
In this mental health course, the subjects you may study include:
- Academic Integrity Module
- Therapeutic Skills
- Comprehensive Mental Health Assessment
- Mental Health Diagnosis
- Experiences and Perceptions of Mental Illness
- Mental Health Nursing: Considerations in Treatment and Recovery
- Advanced Mental Health Nursing Practice
- Advanced Therapeutic Skills for Mental Health Nursing
- Mental Health Nursing and Therapeutic Pharmacology
- Quality Improvement Initiatives
- Critiquing Research Literature
- Translating Evidence to Practice
- Constructive Practice Recommendations
Why La Trobe University?
For over 50 years, La Trobe University has been transforming people and societies. Ranked in the top 1% of Universities worldwide by 2021 Times Higher Education World University Rankings and ranked as one of the best 50 universities across East Asia, South-east Asia and Oceania. La Trobe has a proud history of world-class teaching and academic research.
Throughout your studies with La Trobe you’ll see firsthand how to champion local communities, tackle the big issues of our time and work to the highest standards. As you step forward in your career, you’re able to set a new standard of excellence.
The online study experience:
At La Trobe University, online courses are designed to be flexible for the working professional. Taught by experts in their field, our courses will show you how to adapt to new situations, connect with others and take the lead.
Developed for busy professionals with personal commitments, our online courses help you take your career and leadership abilities to the next level.
Online courses feature the same course structure and opportunities that our on-campus students experience, so you’re sure to enjoy a quality education and one-on-one support. You’ll have 24/7 technology assistance, so you truly can learn when and where it’s best for you.