In a nutshell
Financial systems are central to everything, with the Australian financial market growing 13.2% to $10.9 trillion during 2021* alone. Strong financial skills are an invaluable mechanism to drive change and create success. The professionals who have upskilled will thrive.
With the 100% online Master of Applied Finance from UNSW Online, you will accrue a wealth of financial knowledge and real-world applications. Your studies will also be tailored to suit your career path – and can help build a strong foundation to pursue the Chartered Financial Analyst (CFA) designation.
Whether you’re looking to upskill and advance your career, or make a change by entering the finance industry, the Master of Applied Finance will provide the skills and experience you need.
The UNSW Online Master of Applied Finance is designed to ensure you can confidently apply, manage, and lead financial functions at all business levels – both in Australia and around the world – and be an asset to any forward-thinking financial organisation.
It offers eight core courses and four electives. Select from key areas including analytics, financial technology and business management – and learn how financial knowledge areas such as international finance can be applied in any business to achieve success. You can also select a study pathway that is closely aligned with the Chartered Financial Analyst (CFA) curriculum, giving you a strong grounding to pursue the CFA designation. Whatever your interests, this program delivers access to the latest thinking and current research in finance.
There is also the option to study the Graduate Certificate in Finance or the Graduate Diploma in Applied Finance, which combined create the master’s program.
*Roy Morgan Banking & Finance Currency Report, 2021
What you’ll need
- A recognised bachelor’s degree (or equivalent qualification) in business, banking or finance-related area with a credit average (65% or higher) as determined by the UNSW Admissions Entry Calculator; AND
- Proficient in the English language.
- Students with a recognised Bachelor degree (or equivalent qualification) and no finance knowledge should apply for the Graduate Certificate in Finance.
- Upon successful completion of the Graduate Certificate in Finance with a credit average (65% or higher), students will be eligible to articulate into the Master’s with full credit for the courses completed as part of the Graduate Certificate; AND
- Proficient in the English language.
Entry via nested qualification
- An articulation pathway also exists into this Master’s program for students who complete the Graduate Diploma in Applied Finance with a credit average (65% or higher).
- International Finance*
- Corporate Finance*
- Private Equity and Venture Capital*
- Equity Valuation*
- Fixed Income*
- Ethics and Professional Standards*
Plus, four electives from the following courses:
- Financial Management*
- Entrepreneurship and Innovation
- Business Economics*
- Law Regulation and Ethics
- Technical Tools for FinTech
- FinTech Ecosystems and Industry Insights
- Decentralised Finance
- Tech Disruption in Payments and Transfers
- Tech Disruption in Funding and Lending
- Data Management for FinTech^
- Robo Advisory and Portfolio Optimisation^
- Principles of Programming
- Introductory Data Analysis*
Available elective courses will vary per program and study period.
*Course designed in line with the CFA examination curriculum. The CFA-aligned Master of Applied Finance pathway provides students with a strong grounding to pursue the CFA designation. ^Prerequisite: Technical Tools for Fintech.
Why UNSW Online?
Study 100% Online with UNSW. A World Leader.
UNSW is a globally recognised leader in education, with a focus on industry applicable programs. When you study online with UNSW, you can expect to learn from world-class academics and collaborate with ambitious, like-minded individuals.
Study at Australia’s Global University. Anywhere, anytime.
Studying online at UNSW means that you have the flexibility to shape your studies to fit your life and career goals. The programs have been designed with busy working professionals in mind so you can study one course at a time, 100% online & accelerated, whilst working full-time.
Designed by Industry for Industry.
The UNSW online programs have been developed in close consultation with industry experts equipping you with applicable and career-related skills. UNSW is ranked in the top 3 universities in Australia for graduate employability, and is 27th in the world (QS University World Rankings by Graduate Employability, 2020) with each program offering advanced disciplinary depth, giving you access to the latest thinking and current research.
Student Admissions Advisors:
Investing in the right program for you is important to us and we’re here to help you every step of the way. Our Student Enrolment Advisors are available to assist you with all your program and enrolment queries.
Student Success Advisors:
Studying online does not mean studying alone. We are here to help you make your difference. Throughout your study journey, you will be able to turn to your Student Success Advisor (SSA), who is committed to assisting you at every stage, from enrolment through to graduation. Your SSA is on hand to help with all non-academic queries by phone or email.