In a nutshell
If you have an eye for inspired interiors and want to turn your flair for creating beautiful living spaces into a career, then the MSF40122 Certificate IV in Interior Decoration qualification from Open Colleges could be just the thing you’re looking for. This flexible, online course offers you the opportunity to learn all the practical skills required to join this exciting industry immediately or start your own interior decoration consultancy.
You will learn essential skills such as how to select and use colour and furnishings to create exhilarating interiors, how to produce drawings to effectively communicate your ideas, and how to research and recommend accessories, furniture, soft furnishings, hard materials and and finishes. The course will also give you all the practical knowledge in legal, administrative and promotional requirements yo need to set up your own small interior decor consultancy.
During the course you will receive a free professional design kit to ensure you have all the tools required to bring your ideas to life, as well as a membership to the Design Institute of Australia, the peak body for design professionals in Australia that will allow you to access various events, communication and networking opportunities available to members.
PLEASE NOTE – Open Colleges is a privately-run RTO, not government-run like a TAFE, so they cannot offer government funding. Please check eligibility requirements before beginning an enrollment with Open Colleges.
What you’ll need
There are no formal education requirements for this qualification.
To successfully complete this course, Open Colleges recommends that students:
- Be over 18 years of age;
- Have language, literacy and numeracy skills that ensures the ability to read and comprehend technical terms and communicate effectively through email. These skills are equivalent to those that would be required to successfully complete year 12;
- Have access to a modern computer with high-speed internet;
- Have basic computing skills including the ability to make a short video.
Simulated workspace requirements
It is essential that learners have access to a specific place where they undertake their assessment activities. This work area should be designed as a home office area or design studio. Learners will be asked to submit photographic evidence of their simulated workplace facility prior to assessment in Module 1.
The simulated workplace facility may include tools, equipment and resources, including:
- workstation/layout table and drawing board (MDF board with set squares and T-Square as a minimum)
- ergonomic chair
- filing system
- desk lamp
- computer (see computer requirements above)
- internet access (see computer requirements above)
- storage for drawing equipment.
- Learners need access to a digital camera, and related software, for taking photos for design tasks, projects and documenting the design processes;
- access to an A4 – A3 printer or photocopier;
- access to a high-resolution colour printer;
- access to a high resolution, large format scanner.
When completing the MSF40122 Certificate IV in Interior Decoration qualification, you may study the following subjects:
- CUADES302 - Explore and apply the creative design process to 2D forms
- CUAACD313 - Produce technical drawings
- CUADES303 - Explore and apply the creative design process to 3D forms
- MSFID4019 - Research interior decoration and design influences
- CUAACD311 - Produce drawings to communicate ideas
- BSBCRT512 - Originate and develop concepts
- MSFID4016 - Design colour schemes for interior and exterior spaces
- CUADES301 - Explore the use of colour
- MSFID5018 - Provide interior styling service
- MSFGN4001 - Research and meet ethical and compliance requirements
- MSMENV272 - Participate in environmentally sustainable work practices
- MSFID4017 - Research and recommend furniture and accessories
- MSFID4021 - Design soft furnishing solutions for interior spaces
- MSFID4012 - Decorate residential interiors
- MSFID4015 - Prepare materials and finishes boards for client presentation
- CUADES411 - Generate design solutions
- BSBESB406 - Evaluate and develop small business operations
Why Open Colleges?
Open Colleges has been helping Australians realise their potential for over 125 years, and they're now one of Australia's leaders in online education. In the last decade alone, they've helped over 450,000 students gain the skills to launch, change or take the next step in their careers.
The common misconception is that studying online means that you’re studying alone, but at Open Colleges, they take great pride in the superior support provided to their students. They make it easy for you to get support when you need it with their student support team available Monday to Friday via email, phone and Live Chat and on the weekends, via Live Chat (when available). They’re here, in tandem with trainers and assessors, to make sure you’re supported the whole way through your course, from the time you enrol right through to your graduation.